How Big Of A Tank...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Inchyally

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am not planning o doing this, but I was wondering.

It is pretty much a rule that you should never house 2 male Bettas together. However, if you had a big enough tank, would that lessen the aggression? I was wondering. Would a 55gal/4 foot tank suffice, or would you need bigger? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. :)

would never work as they would fight - yes people have done it short term but it wouldnt work - see below

in the wild they have their territorys and when they fight the loser retreats to another pool/pond - by jumping - thats why they're such good jumpers
in an aquarium there isnt anywhere for the other male to escape to so the loser would get beaten up by the other one and have no safe place to retreat to

some Wild male bettas can be kept together but not betta splendens their aggression is off the scale compared to a lot of other betta complexes

would never work as they would fight - yes people have done it short term but it wouldnt work - see below

in the wild they have their territorys and when they fight the loser retreats to another pool/pond - by jumping - thats why they're such good jumpers
in an aquarium there isnt anywhere for the other male to escape to so the loser would get beaten up by the other one and have no safe place to retreat to

some Wild male bettas can be kept together but not betta splendens their aggression is off the scale compared to a lot of other betta complexes

Okay, thanks. :)

I thought if somebody had 2 male Bettas in a huge tank, I'm saying 125gal+ I would wonder if there wouldn't be the aggression. But I guess there still would be.

Convert the 150g to a sorority ;) much better. I wouldn't risk putting two boys in a tank together with no divider no matter what the size was, with dividers being so cheap and easy it doesn't really seem worth the risk to me.

-Rezz

Not sure how big but it would need to be large enough for two territories and that they didnt meet often and get away! So big!

i personally think that it may be possible in a 125 gallon, obviously it would have to have quite a large foot print, and lots of plants would be necessary to break up lines of site.

If you divide it, 10 gall is big enough. To see them swimming together though, you've got to go girls.

i still dont think a 6 or 8 ft tank would be big enough there's still a risk the one male could run into the other
it takes less than a minute - in a fight - for a male to nearlly kill another male
and anytime they see each other they WILL fight - they can sense each other in the same tank same as they do in the wild

yes you may get away with it short term but anytime they come accross each other THEY will fight and try and chase the other one out of their pond - and seeing as there is no way out no matter how many plants and stuff you have they are still going to be sharing the same body of water

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back