How big do Angelfish tank mates have to be?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishguy13

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello, was just wondering what the minimum size a angelfish tank mate should be? As I want to swap my platies for something new

Everything that cant fit in Angelfishes mouth and faster than angelfish. And also need the same hardness too.

Avoid anything that is the size and shape of a neon tetra.

Platy sized fish are fine but platies like hard water and angels prefer soft water.

I agree with colin.

Fish that are the same length as a neon, but wider should be ok.

Hard to put an exact label on size for this one. A general rule is if it fits in a fishes mouth, it's food.

What has already been posted was explained to me some time back as, avoid linear fish (neons and similar tetras). Round disk-shaped fish (like Rosy Tetras) usually work.

Yes, as long as it is a deep-bodied tetra, it should be fine. If it is a schooling fish, make sure it is not a fun nipper like Tiger Barbs. Rosy Barbs have longer fins which means they are slower. They might work if you get them in a school.

Serpae tetra size or larger. Angelfish will attack and eat neon tetra.

Yes, but not Serpae tetra. They will nip at the Angelfish fins. They are notorious for that.
I had no such issues when I had several serpae tetra with a large Angelfish. The serpaes kept to themselves.

I once had serpae tetras. They swam round the tank in a tight V formation and every other fish soon had bits missing. They very quickly went back to the shop.

I also took the serpaes I bought back due extreme anti-social behaviour.

Serpae Tetra are notorious for aggression and fin nipping. They need a group of 10-12 of their own kind to (hopefully) contain the nipping, but this does not always work. The white margins to their fins is usually due to small nips. But they should never be housed with sedate fish, or fish with long or flowing fins. That is like waving a red flag in front of a bull that is standing peacefully still--he won't be for long.

Everything has exceptions. Individual fish for some reason may behave differently from the norm, but that does not change the norm for that species. And I always think it is advisable to warn questioners of the likely and probable, rather than suggest something that is certainly a risk and may cause them grief. When I had my fishroom I had sufficient tanks to be able to move "troublesome" fish, and a few times I had these even though the research did not indicate it. But I would never risk a fish just to counter the normal for the species. :drinks:

To add into the cacophony of voices - Angelfish is a natural predator of the Neon Tetra and likewise anything that resembles it (again, can it fit in it's mouth?) will surely be bullied, nipped and eventually eaten. Angelfish can be incredibly territorial and need a large tank.

As others have said, a fish with similar water requirements, good size and not a known fin-nipper is your best bet. I have found that top level swimmers (so not Neon's etc.) do better regardless of size because they are quick and Angel's don't spend too much time at the surface in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back