Housing issue

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ch0le

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So, my plan is to cycle a 5 gallon or a little larger to do a Betta Biotope. The fish that I want will most likely be coming from Thailand and is very hard to find. Because of this, I may have to purchase as soon as it becomes available. What would be the best home while I cycle his tank if this becomes a future issue? Thank you for reading.

You mean you will buy the betta, even if you don’t have then tank cycled?

Do you have any other tanks, with filter cartridges, that are already cycled?

Also, is it going to Be a 5 gal.? Bigger, or smaller? :)

I would not recommend wasting your time cycling a tank in this situation. First, a Betta in a 5 gallon is not going to be much of an issue anyway (do you think those cups they live in on the store shelf are cycled? Nope.) and I would assume you will have floating plants as a Betta should have these. And the plants will grab all the ammonia a Betta could possibly create so cycling is not necessary. I never cycle tanks for any fish, as I always have floating live plants in my tanks and they are what someone called "ammonia sinks." I would suggest you set the tank up running well before the Betta arrives just to be sure all is working properly, and the plants are growing.

You mean you will buy the betta, even if you don’t have then tank cycled?

Do you have any other tanks, with filter cartridges, that are already cycled?

Also, is it going to Be a 5 gal.? Bigger, or smaller? :)
Most likely a 5 gallon. If I find a 7 gallon I will get that. If I have one chance to get this betta before I get a chance to set up, I may have too. He is my dream fish right now. It may take quite a while to get him. Even if at all. I was planning on using a large bowl maybe. What Byron said about plants makes a lot of sense. My tank was ready pretty quickly. Thanks to all of my plants. Thoughts?

I would not recommend wasting your time cycling a tank in this situation. First, a Betta in a 5 gallon is not going to be much of an issue anyway (do you think those cups they live in on the store shelf are cycled? Nope.) and I would assume you will have floating plants as a Betta should have these. And the plants will grab all the ammonia a Betta could possibly create so cycling is not necessary. I never cycle tanks for any fish, as I always have floating live plants in my tanks and they are what someone called "ammonia sinks." I would suggest you set the tank up running well before the Betta arrives just to be sure all is working properly, and the plants are growing.
Thanks. All of my plants really came in handy for this reason when I set up my current tank. Hopefully by then I can take from the plants I have now. They are growing well.

If you order from Taiwan you will have to go through a transhipper. It usually takes from several weeks to a couple of months to get the fish. You will have plenty of time to get your tank cycled if you start now and do a fishless cycle. Good luck!

Last edited:
If you order from Taiwan you will have to go through a shipper. It usually takes from several weeks to a couple of months to get the fish. You will have plenty of time to get your tank cycled if you start now and do a fishless cycle. Good luck!
Thank you.

What sort of Betta is hard to get and only comes from Thailand?

If you are getting one of the less common Betta species (Betta pugnax, coccina, imbellis, etc), you need to get the tank set up before you get them. Most Bettas (besides the common Siamese fighting fish) are wild caught and will not tolerate being in a tank while it cycles.

If you are after some unusual fish, get the tanks running first and then get the fish. If you are unsure when the fish will be available, put extra sponges into your main tank and let them cycle while you wait, then you can use those sponges on the new tank.

This is the fish. Hope I did this right. Honestly, if they have to catch it wild then I don't want to have it removed from its habitat. It is beutiful. I'll have ro ask rhe vender today. Thank you all dor the useful info.

Attachments

• m07-003-OHM-Rose-Prince-White-Sparkle.jpg
    m07-003-OHM-Rose-Prince-White-Sparkle.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 123
Wow! That is absolutely stunning!!!

What specific breed is it?

Also, I think when/if you get it, your should enter it in the August Fish of the Month contest! That would snatch that title right up! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just a Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish). He will be fine. Just put him in a tank with a heap of floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) and you'll be right.

Monitor the ammonia and nitrite levels and do a big water change if you get a reading.

This is the fish. Hope I did this right. Honestly, if they have to catch it wild then I don't want to have it removed from its habitat. It is beutiful. I'll have ro ask rhe vender today. Thank you all dor the useful info.
They are farm raised. Once they are taking pics, they have moved them to tanks. You should go ahead and locate your transhipper and negotiate your cost. That’s the expensive part but they are the ones who will get it through customs. I don’t buy from Thailand myself for that particular reason. Too much money and way too much time before you get your fish. Average time is 2 months. Good luck and hope it works out for you. The fish is beautiful. I have attached a diagram below that explains the Thailand shipping process. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
They are farm raised. Once they are taking pics, they have moved them to tanks. You should go ahead and locate your transhipper and negotiate your cost. That’s the expensive part but they are the ones who will get it through customs. I don’t buy from Thailand myself for that particular reason. Too much money and way too much time before you get your fish. Average time is 2 months. Good luck and hope it works out for you. The fish is beautiful. I have attached a diagram below that explains the Thailand shipping process. Hope it helps.
Thank you so much! I'll look everywhere. I just don't know any vendors for Betta fisnhes loke this.

Oh that is a gorgeous fish! Can you send us pics when it is all set up??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back