Houseplants in Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mich

Reaction score
Hi!

Just curious,...I realize it's a weird question,...are there any houseplants at all, that
can exist in an aquarium? I don't mean in dirt, but with roots down in the gravel.

I am asking this question, which may seem silly and obvious, because when I was younger, I had a neighbor/friend with a 50 gallon aquarium, and he had Pothos plants rooted down in the gravel, which not only survived, but thrived in his tank.
His fish didn't seem to eat or disturb it at all, and it was very attractive.

Pothos, (in the philidendrum family) are super easy to root, as some of you may already know, from starting cuttings in water for new plants. They also require very little light, and are able to survive almost any environment.

I have never seen or heard about any houseplant put into aquariums since then, and am quite curious about whether or not to try this. It worked so well in my friends tank. Is it safe? Would love as much feedback and advice as possible.

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to help me consider this.

Mich

you could try Pothos and let us know , but so many people dont have any success with true waterplants that I cant really see a reason to try anything else..

I don't know exactly how you are trying to proceed. Most Philidendrum species throw aerial roots which if they are immersed in an aquarium would find a very pleasant environment indeed, lots of water and nutrients. I doubt the plant itself would survive under water, but it may grow out of the water. A lot of marginal plants will grow for a period totally submerged but usually not long, they either rot or do the same, they grow out of the water like irises and reeds do.

Pothos will grow out of the water, but I've heard this is great for removing nitrates from the tank. :D

I've had pothos in my 30 gallon tank for my guppies and it's been great. It used to be outside hanging but my dad cut some and threw it inside the aquarium and it thrived. A couple of months ago I added some to my 5 gallon for my bettas and it flourished like crazy. The only drawback was my lighting was too much so algae bloom also. The pothos had new leaves and is in brilliant green colorings.

I used to work with a guy who ran a small aquarium maintenance business. He would set up, stock, and clean tanks for businesses and doctor's offices and stuff. He claimed that he always used regular plants in aquariums, that there were certain kinds that you could do this with easily. Unfortunately, I don't remember what they were! I remember he often talked about one he had planted in an aquarium that was in a chinese restaurant. He said it was some kind of
"Peace Lilly" or something, but basically, it grew underwater until finally one day it had a large flower that rested at the water's surface while the rest of the plant was fully submersed...

Yup the leaves do grow underwater. When I first put the pothos in, there was a young unopen leaf sticking on the side and then about a week later it sprouted...and sprouted...and finally opened up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back