House Fire

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would save my family first, external hard drive with the dogs second (my dogs are small, I could carry both in one arm :rolleyes: ), then the guinea pigs third, then I would go back and try to save my fish. They are right next to one of the backdoors at my house (we have many doors !), so I would definitely try. I have heaps of spare small tanks I would scoop water and net away (I'm good at catching my fish :good: )

I can't imagine letting my fish either boiling, having their glass crack and dying slowly on the foor and then being burnt. I would have to at least try.

However, I do have one other option, once I get the family out I would run outside, drag the hose inside and try to put the fire out ! LOL it's so small that the hose would reach all areas of the inside of my house !

A lot of people seriously underestimating how fast a house fire can spread...!

The cases of dementia are quite rare though so since I can still remember, I wouldn't go for pictures. Purse and useful documents maybe (unless it's too late and the fire has already devoured my wardrobe).

I even wonder sometimes if I'd save my parents only because of the mutual contributions we have (such as I do the house cleaning / dish washing while they - well at least dad - bring home the food). I tend to be less attached to humans, more to animals. I have only 3 close friends (2 out of which I never met outside the internet). The rest of my friends I cannot see as true friends as they were also in for the "You scratch my back and (maybe) I scratch yours."

Side note: A lot of people here tend to get angry when a fish is in danger. But when it comes to saving a few fishes they own that could be saved (in the case of a fire that isn't likely to kill a human), they'd just leave the fishes behind and take material, lifeless memories. Interesting.

I work in healthcare and i agree with photos, they are really valuable when the older people on my ward have lost husbands/sons/wives etc. especially when they have dementia (jogging memories).

Not sure if this will work:
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=412
but rates of dementia are high especially with an aging population and how long are life expectancies are. The "material, lifeless memories" are all they have.

I think people you know whether family or friends (if one is not close to the relatives) are the best thing we have in the world but i only realised this as i grew up (and moved away from home). I also felt the same way you did in the past but life experiences helped me realise this. In hard times people join together its natural, that is why everyone will save anything to do with family and friends before they even think of the pets. It's a natural survival instinct.

But there is no need to be sentimental when you are young, i would have answer the same as you about a year and half ago, it would have been money, laptop (a lot of my old friends were internet based) and dog. Those were the only things i was interested in :)

Though you seem very practical.. documentation i would have never thought of that!

Shame you feel that way about your parents and friends, i hope it improves :( I found it did when i moved out but not everyone has the money to unfortunately.

My parents are the reason I haven't moved already or gotten a job (well not an official one, I have one online but since it's only at the beginning, can't count on any big payments yet until the business is up and running, barely made enough to upgrade to a huge tank and get some of the important stuff).
I wanted to get a job as a simple dishwasher woman. Mom was like "No, you won't last a day", forgetting the fact that I have to wash all hers and my dad's dishes aside from mine.

I wanted to get a job at the air conditioning assembly factory. Mom said that it wouldn't work in my case + she doesn't want me having to come back at home during the night. Well, she has to realize one day I will be all alone and I WILL have to come home at night. We are born alone, we most likely die alone.

Every time I fix a laptop or computer to gain money, my mom has to make such a huge racket about me bringing computers home to repair them on the carpet in my room. I don't even make any mess so what's up with that?

Now, my dad, he's a different story. He tries to get me into jobs that I know there's almost no future to them. I understand his intentions are good. But here's what happened:
1) His friend told him to bring me to this guy who needed secretaries. Even though I passed the practical test which required introducing data into a database, apparently they hate the INTJ personality type (which they determined after making me complete a series of questions on a paper, that's NOT how you make an interview. Definitely not professional.).
Well... guess what happened to that guy's company later on and to that guy? His business crashed, all his secretaries backstabbed him and stole his money + their parents / boyfriends threatened the owner because he didn't pay the secretaries. The guy is now working for my dad's friend for a bit of food. Sad really. But I am glad I never got hired there.

2) That same friend told him about Ubisoft hiring gamers to test. Dad told me to go try my luck but I knew it sounds too easy, there has to be a catch. The secretary that worked at Ubisoft failed to send me the mail on time so I could know what to do. When I arrived there and took the test, it made me wonder on what they based the results since nobody checked our bug reports. They just announced who passed suddenly and that the rest failed.

Dad also tried to get my mom hired. She keeps refusing. LOL. I guess she likes smoking 90% of the day and the rare occasion where she decides to do a house cleaning, she will complain that she's doing everything in the house, forgetting that I also do that if I feel it's needed. But it's pretty hard when dad puts all his electronics in my room. X_X

I always recommend webcam striptease jobs to my girly mates who are poor and cant afford the rent.

I've thought about this and originally I'd said if I could I'd save my betta fish (they used to be in the bedroom) - ok I assumed there was a fire at night. Now he's downstairs....

In case of a fire...I'd rescue the dog! Everything else is replaceable...he isn't. My boyfriend could rescue himself haha. If it were a smaller fire I'd grab a few things...if it were small enough, dog in garden...then I'd put the fire out...

I always recommend webcam striptease jobs to my girly mates who are poor and cant afford the rent.
Not up for that. I also dislike nudity. Would not do that even if someone threatened to kill me.

Not up for that. I also dislike nudity. Would not do that even if someone threatened to kill me.

Fish are nude, we are all voyeurs. :D
/rectifying that statement: I dislike nudity in humans.

The fish part reminds me that now there are clothes sold for cats and dogs... In before clothes for fish. o_O... That'd be horrible. I foresee a betta in a pink tutu. X_X

pfft double standards.
Well, we humans used to wear clothes in order to keep warm. (though now we have air conditioning)
Nowadays however, if you walk nude on the streets, you get fined or in best case just get a bunch of whistlers gawking at you (provided that you have a nice body to show).

pfft double standards.
Well, we humans used to wear clothes in order to keep warm. (though now we have air conditioning)
Nowadays however, if you walk nude on the streets, you get fined or in best case just get a bunch of whistlers gawking at you (provided that you have a nice body to show).
... or you get 40 people just stare at you >w< like in life drawing, and I have heard the pay is nice ^^
But, how about some minor jobs, like leaflet distribution, shop assistant etc. Something which you could be doing for couple of hours, without telling your mom.

pfft double standards.
... or you get 40 people just stare at you >w< like in life drawing, and I have heard the pay is nice ^^
But, how about some minor jobs, like leaflet distribution, shop assistant etc. Something which you could be doing for couple of hours, without telling your mom.
No, just no. And I'm not attractive either.

I've searched over the internet for stuff like that and nothing popped up. No shop assistant adds either, I am signed up on Best Jobs and nothing that I qualify for (without experience, they all want experienced people) yet.

Impossible not to tell my mom though. If I go out of the house, I must say exactly where I am going and when I get back. It is rare that I go on my own and since all my close friends are in other countries now until summer, there isn't much I can use for an excuse. -.- But if I could get an offer for a job or find an add about someone hiring for stuff that seems likely for me to get hired, I would take it (though so would many others, which is why so many of the easy-to-get-hired jobs are taken quite fast, surprising how cleaning lady posts are taken within days).

Heck, once I finished high school, do you know what I considered doing? Working as a trash collector. :sad: Our high schools in most cases do not qualify us for any specific jobs.

In order to actually have a decent salary (I'm not talking about dad's 300$ a month for repairing electronics in the president's palace), one would have to be either a C++ programmer and work for 1000$ a month or be a bank manager and be richer than that but with a LOT on their head. A friend from high school is trying his best to pass all the exams in college, but he's having a hard time with them. He wants to work in a bank too.

Do you mind me asking how old you are FishBlast? There's going to come a point where you're going to have to go ahead and live your life, get a job etc whether you've got their approval or not.

Tbh, most schools around the world don't qualify you for any specific jobs - that's what higher education is for. In the UK you get a bunch of GCSEs which will tell employers you're competent in English, Maths etc, but if you want to get qualified for a specific job, that's up to you.

Do you mind me asking how old you are FishBlast? There's going to come a point where you're going to have to go ahead and live your life, get a job etc whether you've got their approval or not.

Tbh, most schools around the world don't qualify you for any specific jobs - that's what higher education is for. In the UK you get a bunch of GCSEs which will tell employers you're competent in English, Maths etc, but if you want to get qualified for a specific job, that's up to you.
I'm 22 years old. And I have been telling them that but they don't trust me anyway. And in a way they do have the right to be suspicious of business offers. A former friend of mine tried 2 call centers, one was British and the other was French.
The first one required that she'd pester people to buy products even by lying to them, telling them that they did say they would buy stuff but they didn't. (kind of like how adware goes on your computer, but this being just people bugging you on the phone). When the boss told her to try flirting with the people, she quit. Lol.
And about her job for the French call center... she seemed very... changed once she went there. o_O idk what happened to her. She was never the same since then. -_- Who knows what they did to her.

And I am waiting for college but I have to wait till summer when we can sign up and there's a test that I am not sure I can pass as it requires a video camera to record a mini-movie related to a given theme. Basically I want to be a movie script writer but also a movie director if possible.

The UK has it a lot easier. Romania just closed a bunch of colleges because there are too many people that couldn't get passed the bacalaureate (mostly because teachers haven't been doing their jobs and kids started ignoring high school because nobody was taking it serious). Our education is at ground level, our jobs barely give you the bare necessities (if even that) and there are more cases of firing than hiring.

As much as I love my fish, they're gonna be on their own if there was a massive fire, I do value their lives, just not as much as mine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back