House Fire

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's the thing for me though. If the fire is small enough that I could go back in, I'd be trying to put it out, not save things.

I would rescue photos and things before my fish, but having said that I wouldn't risk my life for the photos either. The ONLY thing I would risk going back inside for was other people. This is unlikely to happen though, as I'd make sure that everyone in the house was coming out with me, I would not leave anyone behind.

People on here get angry when people put fish through needless suffering. I dont think anyone could get angry for not putting their lives at risk for the sake of their fish. I look down on lazy, ignorant people. I don't look down on people who choose not to risk their lives and health.

Dementia is more common than you think, especially as it often goes undiagnosed. I dont have any memory problems but would still choose to save my photos. Not that I dont remember things but sometimes you need to be prompted to think about things. In a few years the fish will die and you'll have nothing to show for it.

EDIT: Also, I've had to move my tank twice in recent months, and I've had to catch all my fish to do this. Catching fish is not a quick, easy thing to do. It took me hours. Not something I could be doing in a burning building.

I'd be trying to put it out too unless it just wouldn't go out with water. That's what dad and I had to do when the stove released some fire onto a carpet lol.

But even if the fire wouldn't go out, I'm lucky that I have a small amount of pets that I can retrieve if they are about to die in a fire. Although the water might keep them alive for a while if the filter is off and doesn't pump in the CO2 from the fire.

I just don't have too many important things in my house anyway. Just my documents that are needed throughout my life and in last case my HDD. Which also has some photos stored anyway.

I just feel like if I have the possibility to get anything out of the fire, I'd go for the living things first, then the dead things, I'd probably even forget about the documents in the wardrobe to be honest. o_O

Having ran into a burning building to try and save a woman, I can say its not pleasant. I came out on my hands and knees.

I'd take the mrs and the dog. That's it.

I would guess that the fish would last quite sometime in the tank with the oxygen they have in the water, Unless it was a terrible fire and the heat or falling objects smashed the tank.

Westwood

I suppose your tank would be fine apart from falling objects, Gradual temp rises in glass don't affect it but if it sudden then it will break.

I work in Tesco cleaning the Deli ovens, and once I opened the glass door and the sudden change in temp from like 250°C inside the oven to the air conditioned temp outside caused it to shatter right in front of me.

Back to the question, If it was only me in the house I would save myself but try and do some things before leaving to stem the fire...

I've got a box of sentimentals that I open for what's inside then replace. I'd grab that box, throw the regular safe thats got my coin collection and money in out the window (not fireproof but supposed to last big falls) then leave the family's big fireproof safe in the room. I'd save my family and parents and stuff first in order it'd be:
Parents
Dog
Sister
Grab box out the door and throw safe out window (first if in my room already)
Me

My fish would be last on my mind, and in all honesty if the fire was in my room I'd be more likely to tip the tank onto the fire than to save the fish sorry fishies :(

ok, be honest...was this thread inspired by American Dad ?

(from season3, episode4 on tv last night)
Francine Smith: Oh, my God! Our house!
Stan Smith: Nothing to worry about. Just your average greasy Chinese duck fire.
Francine Smith: Is everyone okay? Steve? Hayley? Roger?
Stan Smith: Everyone's fine.
Francine Smith: [sees Klaus the fish in tumbler on police car] Oh, and... and Klaus. Is Klaus okay? He's the only one I really care about.
Klaus: Too late, Francine. Too f****** late.

Fish would stay im not risking my life or any one elses life for fish. Can replace a few fish like we usually do when they die. But you aint replacing your daughter/son/family (well you could get a replacmet baby boy if your Madonna).

American dad is a huge pile of steaming crud lol

Family guy Cleveland brown great

but American dad sucks and two and a half men That sucks to

The cases of dementia are quite rare though so since I can still remember, I wouldn't go for pictures. Purse and useful documents maybe (unless it's too late and the fire has already devoured my wardrobe).

I even wonder sometimes if I'd save my parents only because of the mutual contributions we have (such as I do the house cleaning / dish washing while they - well at least dad - bring home the food). I tend to be less attached to humans, more to animals. I have only 3 close friends (2 out of which I never met outside the internet). The rest of my friends I cannot see as true friends as they were also in for the "You scratch my back and (maybe) I scratch yours."

Side note: A lot of people here tend to get angry when a fish is in danger. But when it comes to saving a few fishes they own that could be saved (in the case of a fire that isn't likely to kill a human), they'd just leave the fishes behind and take material, lifeless memories. Interesting.

I work in healthcare and i agree with photos, they are really valuable when the older people on my ward have lost husbands/sons/wives etc. especially when they have dementia (jogging memories).

Not sure if this will work:
http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=412
but rates of dementia are high especially with an aging population and how long are life expectancies are. The "material, lifeless memories" are all they have.

I think people you know whether family or friends (if one is not close to the relatives) are the best thing we have in the world but i only realised this as i grew up (and moved away from home). I also felt the same way you did in the past but life experiences helped me realise this. In hard times people join together its natural, that is why everyone will save anything to do with family and friends before they even think of the pets. It's a natural survival instinct.

But there is no need to be sentimental when you are young, i would have answer the same as you about a year and half ago, it would have been money, laptop (a lot of my old friends were internet based) and dog. Those were the only things i was interested in :)

Though you seem very practical.. documentation i would have never thought of that!

Shame you feel that way about your parents and friends, i hope it improves :( I found it did when i moved out but not everyone has the money to unfortunately.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back