House Fire

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joselaz5780

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Although i have never had this happen to me before, i would like to know. What if one day your house was on fire(may god forbid that) and you are by yourself. Your first reaction would be run away, but what about your fish? What would you do to save them? Would you stay behind and risk your life to save them(remember it doesn't mean you're going to die)? How would you even rescue them? I have always wondered this and i would honestly just simply try grabbing them in my hands.

in all honesty the fish would probably be the last thing i think of, my kids, dogs, cats would be first then my chinchillas, although how i dont know, thier cages are huge, its not really something i have given much thought too

Although i have never had this happen to me before, i would like to know. What if one day your house was on fire(may god forbid that) and you are by yourself. Your first reaction would be run away, but what about your fish? What would you do to save them? Would you stay behind and risk your life to save them(remember it doesn't mean you're going to die)? How would you even rescue them? I have always wondered this and i would honestly just simply try grabbing them in my hands.
In the case that there's no high death risk, I'd save pretty much everything I have in the house. But I'd take the turtle first as she's not in water and risks dying first.
Then I'd transfer water to random container and put fish in it, carrying them in my hands would be a huge risk of dropping the fish and killing them. Only other viable option I'd see is to try to put out the fire myself at least around the tank. The water in the fish tank should keep them from burning but idk how long it would take before they'd die due to CO2.

Then I'd take the newt, as she's easy to carry with the small tank.

i'd leave the fish, i'd take the canister of C02 out below the tank though!

in order of what i'd save

Kids
Wife
Dog
Me

The fish would be left for definate (if it was a seriouse fire obv) dogs cats etc are something I'd save but I couldn't justify my fish IMO :crazy:

id rather spend the time attempting to put the fire out than try fish out a few tetras into a bucket.

I know this is hypothetical, but I don't think it can be considered risking your life if you stipulate you won't necessarily die...

I wouldn't risk my life for a tank of fish. I'd be dead by the time I'd attempted to catch them all, and assuming it did take me 1 minute to catch 50+ fish rather than the 20 minutes at least it usually takes me, what would I do with a bucket of fish once I got outside?

My fish will have to take their chances in their tank of water while I break my neck legging it out the house without looking back!

If my house was ablaze and a genie gave me the chance to have 2 minutes back inside, guaranteed no death, I'd rescue more sentimental things like old photos, things that can't be replaced. Sorry fish, I love you, but you're replaceable in that situation.

Pretty sure I read about a LFS that had a serious fire back along, and apart from a few tanks which smashed under the heat, most of the fish were still alive.

If my house was ablaze and a genie gave me the chance to have 2 minutes back inside, guaranteed no death, I'd rescue more sentimental things like old photos, things that can't be replaced. Sorry fish, I love you, but you're replaceable in that situation.

Pretty sure I read about a LFS that had a serious fire back along, and apart from a few tanks which smashed under the heat, most of the fish were still alive.
But photo isn't worth much except sentimental value. Fish / other critters have a high value (at least to the world we live in).

I agree with CezzaXV. I'd feel worse about leaving behind all my baby pictures than about letting a few fish get cooked, I love my fishies but the insurance can cover their cost, insurance can't recreate one of a kind family photos.

My family lives pretty far in the conrty and we have two wood stoves and propane for heat, so if there was a fire, we would be in serious trouble, we have fire plans up the wazoo as to where to meet, what to grab, the whole bit. So I've thought about my fish...

We have our photo albums in a tote so they can be moved easily, all computer photos of importance are backed up on CD in the tote. Same with any files (The tote is pretty big and heavy so I'd have to drag it)
We have one of those fireproof/waterproof safes for anything valuable so we wouldn't worry about that (Though I don't know how it would stand up to a propane tank explosion...

So after clearing out the photos and the dog and cat, then I might think of my fish, but I doubt I'd have time to go in after them if I'd just rescued a panicked dog and cat as well as a tote of photos.
Not to mention making sure my family was safe and we were far enough away so that in case the propane tank did explode we wouldn't go up with it.

But photo isn't worth much except sentimental value. Fish / other critters have a high value (at least to the world we live in).

I consider sentimental value to be much higher than material value though. I have no intention of selling my fish, so they're only worth to me what it would cost to replace if I lost them. If my full tank got wiped out it'd probably cost a day's wages or so to replace the fish. If I had to replace the tank and the plants as well, maybe 5 or 6 days' wages. In any case, these are all material goods that I would hope to be able to claim for on the home insurance. I know the individual fish will be dead, but I don't have any fish with any special sentimental value or that look any different to every other fish of their species.

Old photos and stuff are highly sentimental to me and irreplaceable, therefore priceless. Fish, I can throw some money at someone and I can have what I had back in a manner of speaking. The photos, not so.

I consider sentimental value to be much higher than material value though. I have no intention of selling my fish, so they're only worth to me what it would cost to replace if I lost them. If my full tank got wiped out it'd probably cost a day's wages or so to replace the fish. If I had to replace the tank and the plants as well, maybe 5 or 6 days' wages. In any case, these are all material goods that I would hope to be able to claim for on the home insurance. I know the individual fish will be dead, but I don't have any fish with any special sentimental value or that look any different to every other fish of their species.

Old photos and stuff are highly sentimental to me and irreplaceable, therefore priceless. Fish, I can throw some money at someone and I can have what I had back in a manner of speaking. The photos, not so.
I didn't mean in money. I meant in them as beings that contribute to the world (not talking about value to humans).

The part with not having fish with sentimental value explains it, however I wouldn't leave my Tzuppy in the burning house if I had the option to save him and I could save him. Then Bee and Cracker, even though out of the two only Bee has shown some character but without Cracker she seems incomplete, they're like Laurel and Hardy.

As for pictures / memories, I have tons of them, but all that can be actually kept in one secure place that won't disappear until I die. *points to head*.

I am looking at my fish tank now and asking them what they contribute to the world. They're not coming up with many answers for me, tbh.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back