Hospital tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I hve just bought a 5g tank to be used as a hospital tank , I hve a few questions
Do I need to keep the tank running 24/7 to keep the filter cycled
Do I need gravel or sand in the tank
Is it large enough
Could it be used a back up for unexpected fry
Is lighting important
I hve never used a hospital tank normally just hope for the best but this tank was practically free and though there had to be some use for it

No, just keep some sponge in the filter of the main tank, then transfer it when you need the hospital tank.
Without sand/ gravel is better as you can get closer to a sterile environment (vacuum up worm eggs etc.)
Large enough? Depends on your fish size but yes, I use a 25 litre.
Lights aren't necessary.
Fry tank is another option (May need different set up according to fish species).
I add excess plants from the main tanks when I set up the hospital/ quarantine tank so I can throw them away afterwards. It helps reduce fish stress as they have shelter.

No, just keep some sponge in the filter of the main tank, then transfer it when you need the hospital tank.
Without sand/ gravel is better as you can get closer to a sterile environment (vacuum up worm eggs etc.)
Large enough? Depends on your fish size but yes, I use a 25 litre.
Lights aren't necessary.
Fry tank is another option (May need different set up according to fish species).
I add excess plants from the main tanks when I set up the hospital/ quarantine tank so I can throw them away afterwards. It helps reduce fish stress as they have shelter.
I have a load of gravel left over I can use and could I just add a small internal filter to the main tank and transfer it over when needed or would that possible transfer infections or parasites into the hospital tank , I only mention fry as my electric blue acara have got wigglers at the moment and in the next day or so they will be free swimming , I guess the question is could I keep it empty until needed then just use my tabk water straight to the 5g and just change daily without filter

If you end up having corydoras fry, I don't know if you keep corys, then a sand substrate would be a lot better than gravel as it won't damage their barbels. Could also use super fine gravel too.

If you end up having corydoras fry, I don't know if you keep corys, then a sand substrate would be a lot better than gravel as it won't damage their barbels. Could also use super fine gravel too.
I do keep corys and hve some eggs if there’s netted in my main tank at the moment I watched her lay them this morning but don’t think I could mix electric blue acara fry and Cory fry in same tank I’m guessing

I do keep corys and hve some eggs if there’s netted in my main tank at the moment I watched her lay them this morning but don’t think I could mix electric blue acara fry and Cory fry in same tank I’m guessing
Probably not as the acara fry will get bigger and more aggressive towards the smaller corydoras fry.

Just use an internal filter for water movement/aeration. You'll not use carbon due to the nature of the tanks purpose. No gravel. Just a filter, water,.light, heater and fish. This is not meant to be a show tank. Parasites hide in gravel. Carbon takes up medications. You shouldn't be feeding too much if it's needed to move the fish to another tank, so, this is not an issue. You do not need to maintain the same requirements for a normal tank, sans biologicals. Make sure water stays clean, and only use medication if needed. Any antibacterial used in the tank is.going to.decimate any BB colonies anyways, so it's on you to keep harmful stuff at bay.

I transfer filter media from main tank to hospital/quarantine tank but not from hospital to main tank due to risk of infection/ parasites. I put fresh media in the main tanks each time and leave it to establish for 6 weeks+ so I always have seeded media ready. Using the whole filter would work in the same way.

Why transfer media?

If you use an anti-bacterial treatment, you'll be killing off whatever you add to the tank immediately.

The world has a.dominant misunderstanding of antibiotics. They do not discriminate. They may be more.effective for this and that strain of bacteria, but they attack all bacteria. This is why you're doctor will instruct you to take a.probiotic no sooner than 2 hours AFTER taking an antibiotic (if said doctor is worth their weight anyways), to replenish beneficial bacteria to your gut after killing them off with the antibiotic.

Unless you own stock in API and their Quick Start, I would say save your sponges and.foams and just run the filter open and change the water daily to keep it clean.

Why transfer media?

If you use an anti-bacterial treatment, you'll be killing off whatever you add to the tank immediately.

The world has a.dominant misunderstanding of antibiotics. They do not discriminate. They may be more.effective for this and that strain of bacteria, but they attack all bacteria. This is why you're doctor will instruct you to take a.probiotic no sooner than 2 hours AFTER taking an antibiotic (if said doctor is worth their weight anyways), to replenish beneficial bacteria to your gut after killing them off with the antibiotic.

Unless you own stock in API and their Quick Start, I would say save your sponges and.foams and just run the filter open and change the water daily to keep it clean.
We are in the UK where fish antibiotics are not on general sale.

Last time I set up my quarantine tank I didn't use any mature media as the previous time when I did use it, it took a full 7 week fishless cycle before I could use the tank. So the last time I just used plants. I took some floating plants from my main tank and bought a couple of bunches of elodea and left that to float as well. This does mean having a light on the QT though.

My point is....you do not need a.cycled tank.for a hospital tank.

You are the cycle. Do you really have time to wait for a tank.to cycle in a fish emergency? Do you want to add.to your tensions by keeping a tank full of water turning over with nothing in it, just cause ya like to toss money in it?

Ya'll got this cycle thing too deep in the brain.

The cycle is to allow nature to keep the water habitable, with minimal intervention.from you. It is by no means an.end.all be all of fish keeping.

You can indeed keep a fish in an uncycled tank. You must keep the water clean however. If you are treating a.fish, you're.going to be doing this anyways. Also, there will be nowhere for BB to stick to, done correctly, anyways for this to be of concern. The point of a hospital tank is to keep a sick fish in the cleanest water possible. This means either a significant water change daily, or.a.couple small changes daily. Either way, daily water changes. There will be nothing for the BB to build upon, or.feed upon, if you are keeping the water clean properly. If you are not doing this daily, then perhaps.keeping fish ain't for ya. It takes work. Especially when they are sick. Healthy fish, well, that's a different story. Everyone has their processes. A sick fish, in a 5-10 gallon tank, you're changing water daily. I don't care if the Melafix bottle says 7 days then 25% change....this is for in tank treatment. Not hospital tanks. Same goes.for whatever else.

Drop the cycle stuff for a hospital tank. There is no point. Treat the fish, and.do the job that nature does in the main tank.

I keep a 5G set up all the time. It’s my nursery tank so something is always in it. Right now new cherry barb fry and one Cory fry are in it. I use a sponge filter. In the event I have no fry, I put a couple of ramshorn snails in the tank and feed them lightly. I also keep an extra sponge filter in one of my other tanks in case I need to set up a QT tank quickly as I have empty 5G. So you can do it either way. :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back