Horrible fish keeper

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Crystal.Star

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am the worst fish keeper in the word. I have memory problems and have killed several Betta fish in the past on accident. So, I decided to keep pest snails: Pond and Malaysian Trumpet Snails, mainly because on]line it says they are almost indestructible. I keep an unknown number of these snails in an unheated, five gallon fresh water tank.

I want to make a mini ecosystem in my tank by getting a fish that will eat the snails to help keep the snail population under control. What fish do you recommend for this? I was thinking a goldfish because they are hardy fish and I was also thinking a Dwarf Puffer but, I have read that they can be hard keep alive.

Note: I have a disability that causes me to have short term memory loss, this is why I frequently kill fish. I do not do it on purpose but, I forget to do things like: put water conditioner in the water, let the water get to room temperature before adding fish and yes feeding them. Please give me your advice.

Feeding snails the proper amount can keep the population under control I'd just stick to that. I've kept 11 different puffer species and you can't forget about them and if left alone with all those snails they would over eat and die

Probably best just to go with snails for now and just watch how much you feed them like @FallenPepper said. ;) You may want to have your tank in a spot where you know you will see it everyday and post a check off list next to it to keep track of your feeding and water changes. I have a daughter that also suffers from short term memory loss. Keeping check off list and posting notes to yourself will help. Good luck with your snails. ;)

As Retired Viking suggested, perhaps keep a diary for fish keeping. Write down the date and whether the fish has been fed, water changed, etc.

If you're not sure whether the fish have been fed that day, don't feed them. Fish don't normally die from starvation in captivity. They do die from too much uneaten food in the tank, which causes water quality issues.

Slight changes in water temperature won't affect fish either. In fact temperature variations can encourage fish to breed.

Chlorine and chloramine in the water will kill fish so that has to be removed before the water is added to the tank.

----------------------
Goldfish need a tank that is at least 3 foot long. A 5 gallon is too small for them. About the only fish suitable for a 5 gallon tank is a Betta.

You could try shrimp. Glass shrimp are pretty tough and interesting to watch. They won't eat snails but are different.

Don't worry
Hi everyone, I am the worst fish keeper in the word. I have memory problems and have killed several Betta fish in the past on accident. So, I decided to keep pest snails: Pond and Malaysian Trumpet Snails, mainly because on]line it says they are almost indestructible. I keep an unknown number of these snails in an unheated, five gallon fresh water tank.

I want to make a mini ecosystem in my tank by getting a fish that will eat the snails to help keep the snail population under control. What fish do you recommend for this? I was thinking a goldfish because they are hardy fish and I was also thinking a Dwarf Puffer but, I have read that they can be hard keep alive.

Note: I have a disability that causes me to have short term memory loss, this is why I frequently kill fish. I do not do it on purpose but, I forget to do things like: put water conditioner in the water, let the water get to room temperature before adding fish and yes feeding them. Please give me your advice.
Don't worry. Everyone always starts off as the worst fish keeper. But as you gain more knowledge about keeping specific fish, you might become an expert at keeping fish healthy. I also have killed several better fish in the past :( but now I'm here with plenty of knowledge about caring for fish! And it's a great feeling! Welcome!:D:fish:

Welcome!
I had too many "pest" snails at one time.
I gave them to a guy at my local fish store to feed his puffer fish. They won't take them at a Petco or Petsmart.

If you could do that maybe then you can get a Mystery Snail! Here is mine, her name is Tara. (I think it is a girl)... They move pretty fast and are fun to watch. Also, you can add some plants.

20200125_205907(0).jpg

I don't know about feeding as I had mine in with a fish so I didn't really give her any thing extra. She ate the leftover food my fish didn't eat, plants, and whatever else. They will eat some kinds of plants so you will have to ask others on the forum what plants are good for a Mystery Snail.

Another thing, if you decide to get one, you can keep one or two of your other snails maybe. When the "pest" snails in my tanks get to where there are just a couple I let them grow. I like them, just not when they get overpopulated.

Tara is now, as of today, in a 5 gallon tank with a Zebra Nerite, a Yellow Nerite, and 2 Ramshorn snails that I let get big. She is huge compared to them.

They eat plants and I guess they gnaw on a chunk of driftwood I have in there. I don't really give them much else. Just once a week I put a few betta pellets in. Just in case. That way they didn't get overpopulated. Maybe you could put the pellets in the same time every week?

I really like my snail tank, I spent about a half an hour watching my snail, Tara, get used to her new home.

Of course you still have to prepare the water for the tank because of the chlorine and other harmful things that are in tap water, but you could do a tank maintenance once a week on the same day you give the pellets and make it a routine!

Also, you have to prepare wood in a special way to put in an aquarium. My friend gave me my pieces so I don't really know how to do that but someone on the Forum can tell you.

I almost forgot, no Assassin snails with snails you want to keep alive!
;)

20200125_205907(0).jpg

No one start of great, we had a mistake but we learn from that mistake. Like me a lot of fish die because of me so...We have to learn from that.

I have MTS and BRH (Blue Rams Horn) snails. I also have 1 Nerite snail. In the future I hope to get more Nerite and mystery snails. :)

Welcome to the forum! I'm new too. I have a problem with memory as well from taking medications for my pre-existic mental disorders too, which during times I've had rough patches has caused me to forget about my african clawed frogs. Mine passed recently at 13 and I definitely saw ways where I could have done better. But thats steps to improving even if it's finding ways around it like getting snails. Fortunately african clawed frogs are incredibly resilient and I suggest them since they don't repopulate. Though live plants aren't really an option, their fun to feed! Just do not over feed them, a pinch of sticks does the trick. Mine have done best without a filter and just replacing some water here and there.

Being forgetful and scatterbrained myself, while also living a hectic life with several other pets, I always cancelled out snails as an option. I might be wrong but for me theres too many to keep track of, making it hard to clean the tank especially when some are so tiny. They can also escape without the right lid.
I'm sure theres ways of fixing this though? Just something to think about!

In my experience I've never kept a goldfish alive for more than a couple months even with near perfect conditions. I think it has something to do with our water though since I never had any other clue what it could be? I also think that they eat a lot more more often than bettas since their herbavours right? Another option might be sucker fish since they can eat algea that grows.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back