Honeys!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Red robins I don't believe are the true Honey Gouramis but a colour variation of the blue dwarf.At least,Red Robins are widely available up here and they are not honeys.

Sorry,that came across a bit off,what I mean is there is another kind of obscure one that hardly anyone buys as it looks like nothing until the breeding colours kick in.I have seen them in a lfs once and I have to say,they were pretty bland.(Same shape as the dwarf gourami though).

Red robins I don't believe are the true Honey Gouramis but a colour variation of the blue dwarf.At least,Red Robins are widely available up here and they are not honeys.

Sorry,that came across a bit off,what I mean is there is another kind of obscure one that hardly anyone buys as it looks like nothing until the breeding colours kick in.I have seen them in a lfs once and I have to say,they were pretty bland.(Same shape as the dwarf gourami though).

I'm sorry but red robins gouramis and honey gouramis are Colisa chuna are different colour variations you can also get them in a peach/orange colour - they are all honeys though

Oh,I was under the impression they were Colisa Lalia.
Pip,while you're here,did you have a thread with the raising of your honey babies?My first spawn with them was completely uplanned and I just wasn't prepared for it.Got the babies to 3 weeks then they just disappeared.
Now I can't stop them nesting but the breeders are now in my commuity tank so with water changes etc,the nests never last.
I only have the one female and she won't live forever so I'd like to try again at some point,what's your tips?(I have two males who are very good dads).

Hi hun
I always collect up the bubble nest and float it into a breeding net - the actual mesh type ones - then add a drop of liquifry on day 1 then the next day they hatch

i feed them dust fry food ---- of spirulina , bloodworm , brineshrimp and algae , crushed meal worms and red astax crumb fry food
5 times a day to begin with then when 3-4 weeks old to 2-3 times a day - also rotate pieces of java moss from the shrimp tank so that got lots of particles on it

<a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=288603" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=288603</a>

If i leave them in the tank they disappear - get eaten by the females and the other males
you can always remove them to a breeding tank then remove the female when the deed is done and the male 3 days after that
keep watewr level under 6 inches until they are 7 days old then raise the level
I've done this to and had the same success as in the nets so only do the nets now

A good tip is to leave the net in the tank even when it's not being used so it get infosuria on it , my babies are now in an air circulated plastic breeding trap for a few weeks until they grow more then they'#ll be moved onto 12x10x10 tank
already made a deal with the lfs to take them :)
next lot will sell privately

Don't want to completely hijack this thread,so would you mind if I pm you next time I'm ready to try them again?

thanks for info! maybe single sex is the way to go forward then!! they quite a bit bigger then my guppies so i really dont want any aggression in there,its a calm tank and would like it to stay that way! lol!
must admit though i would like to try and breed them, thought they werent that easy to breed?

They are dead easy to breed,raising the fry is another matter though!!BTW,it may be worth pointing out,or asking really,there are two different honey gouramis.One is the dainty little orange ones (I have these ones),the other is more similar in size and shape to the blue dwarf,and I am led to believe their behaviour is entirely different.
Which ones are you after?

Hi

I have the paler Honey's which I believe are the natural version (they are stunning I think) the female is grey/pale brownish with a darker lateral stripe, still very pretty though, the male also is not so bright (especially when in LFS conditions). Different story once they are in a planted aquarium,and especially in breeding colours. my dominant male has a bright yellow dorsal fin and feelers, an orange/bronze body and deep black running all the way from the mouth area, down through the Anal fin with bright yellow edging. They also seem to have a slightly different swimming motion, sort of start stop start. which is very endearing. the brighter "red type" Honey's I believe have been developed by breeders for their colouration. they also seem slightly thicker in the body.

went to look at some today and its the blue ones! they where lovely! gettin really exicted now! they also had some pure white ones can you mix them together or is it best to keep to the same type?
how many can i comfortabley house will aprox 10 guppies and 4 catfish in a 97 litre tank?
i also have a spare 30 ltr tank whick i was going to use as a breeding tank.
what is the best way to do it i.e should i 1. completey strip out the tank (currently housing 1 male guppy) and fill it with water from my main tank when im ready to use it or 2.try and keep it going with a couple of guppies in there. i know if i keep it running without any fish my bacteria will die,so i guess that means that i would have to keep the pump running as well,maybe not such a good idea!

got it down to 2 the Blue/Three-spot gourami and kissing gourami!

Aggression is risky with Gourami's. Perhaps just one? They are stunning fish, even on their own.

sorry the correct name is blue dwaf gourami that only get to about 6 rather then the bigger gourami which grow apx 15cm!
i think im gonna get 2 and see how they get on (of same sex)

got it down to 2 the Blue/Three-spot gourami and kissing gourami!

kissing gouramis can grow to 6-12 inches so wouldn't be suitable for your 97 litre tank hun they need at least

blue/3 spot gouramis need 200 litre tank at least due to there aggressive nature

sorry the correct name is blue dwarf gourami that only get to about 6 rather then the bigger gourami which grow apx 15cm!
i think im gonna get 2 and see how they get on (of same sex)
good job i checked with you guys first as the lfs said they will be fine in my community tank,when i told her of all the vaulable info i have learnt ;) she said she had never heard of them being aggresive!!!
one thing i have learnt is you never stop learning in fish keeping!!! :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back