Honey gourami eating plants - should I feed more?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishy_Dan

Mostly New Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As the title says, I've noticed that my honey gourami are eating some plant leaves. Does this mean I'm under feeding them?

Spec:
58l planted tank
4 honey gourami (1 male)
10 glowlight rasbora
5 amano shrimp

I currently feed crumbled flake once a day. Every 4 days or so they get a 'treat', either of thawed frozen bloodworm or mosquito larve. I add a small shrimp pellet occasionally, but try to limit this as I think it clouds the tank water.

When I first added the honey gourami I was surprised at how much algae/biofilm they ate! Now they've almost cleared the algae they seem to have started eating plant leaves - Lagenandra meeboldii in particular. Do they just like to eat this plant in particular? Or should I be feeding them more greens? Algae wafers/frozen peas or something else?

Thanks

As the title says, I've noticed that my honey gourami are eating some plant leaves. Does this mean I'm under feeding them?

Spec:
58l planted tank
4 honey gourami (1 male)
10 glowlight rasbora
5 amano shrimp

I currently feed crumbled flake once a day. Every 4 days or so they get a 'treat', either of thawed frozen bloodworm or mosquito larve. I add a small shrimp pellet occasionally, but try to limit this as I think it clouds the tank water.

When I first added the honey gourami I was surprised at how much algae/biofilm they ate! Now they've almost cleared the algae they seem to have started eating plant leaves - Lagenandra meeboldii in particular. Do they just like to eat this plant in particular? Or should I be feeding them more greens? Algae wafers/frozen peas or something else?

Thanks
It sounds like if they were first eating algae, they may need more plant matter in their diet, I would try supplementing with fresh veggies or a comercial veggie basket food. My fish especially love spriullina flakes :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back