Honey Gourami - Dark Fins and Belly

matt_wilby

Reaction score
Hello! I've been away from this forum for a long time due to moving and other bits and bobs.

I have a large Honey Gourami that for the past couple of days has darkened in colour considerably, and is blackish around the belly and fins. He/She spends most of its time in the top corner of the tank. I have noticed there are quite a few bubbles on the surface.

Little concerened as I can find no details of this behaviour anywhere.

Does anyone out there have any advice?

TIA.

Wilbs

it could be a male attempting a bubble nest :unsure: he (if it is a he) could have darkened in colour due to feeling extra happy (for any reason), and is building a nest out of happiness :huh: maybe...

Yes, we have two Honey and two red Gouramis. The reds are recent additions, these were literally added over the weekend.

Forgot to mention but recently the large gourami damaged his/her Pectoral fin (or whatever the long bit is called), which eventually ended up with some of it dropping off. However, It seems to be eating ok.

Actually looks quite healthy aprt from that, scales are all normal colour is still there. But the darkening just looks a little odd. I mean the finds are black, and the belly is blackish.... :blink:

Honey Gourami males typically turn that way in color when they are in a mating mood. That he's building a bubble nest seems to confirm that. I don't know if they change their color like that for other reasons.

Cool. Thanks!

Hopefully one of the other Gourami's is a female then. Maybe introducing another species has given him the urge! :D

Any ideas if it is possible for different species to inter-breed?

Regards.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back