Hole in head???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Paws&Fins

Reaction score
Is that what I'm seeing? I've started General Cure and Erythromycin as recommended by my LFS rep. My Gloshark keeps rubbing on the gravel and decorations as well. Whatever is going on I cannot seem to stop it. Help please.

Attachments

• 20210405_194943_HDR.jpg
    20210405_194943_HDR.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210405_195026_HDR.jpg
    20210405_195026_HDR.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 57
Id never heard of it till yesterday, I'm fairly new to the fish game and I only found out about it as I was looking up something wrong with one of my Cory. Similar thing, although I don't see any rubbing up against anything. He just was so small compared to the other 2 I got all at the same time and he was always on his own, never with the other 2. I first thought he might have hurt himself on something and was keeping an eye on him to see if it got better... Now in hindsight after looking into it more and not writing it off as an accident I wish I'd had known about HITH disease. Hes sadly no longer with me, but now I'm panicking now about the rest of my tank ??
Hope you get yours sorted, whatever it is.

Attachments

• 20210308_201842.jpg
    20210308_201842.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210403_151835.jpg
    20210403_151835.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 50
To me none of the fish show HITH disease.
The fish in these cases are not prone to this disease and the also the i itial disease shows differently.
I think what we see are simply injuries caused by digging or wedging itself.
Keep water clean, add indian almond / keep anti fungusmeds on hand, remove possible sharp decorations and keep a close eye on the fish.

Last edited:
The fish in these cases are not prone to this disease and the also the i itial disease shows differently.
Keep water clean, add indian almond / keep antu fungusmeds on hand, remove possible shape decorations and keep a close eye on the fish.
Will do Thank you, thats reassuring.
Sorry for jumping in and hijacking your post.
I've learnt rather than posting a post its best to search first as 90% of the time there is already a thread done for it xx

Perhaps next time you can find out what is wrong with the fish before adding anti-biotics because they are causing drug resistant bacteria that are killing people, animals, birds, fish and reptiles all over the planet.

Chances are you have wiped out your filter bacteria too, so go congratulate the moron at the shop who told you to shove anti-biotics in the tank.

Perhaps next time you can find out what is wrong with the fish before adding anti-biotics because they are causing drug resistant bacteria that are killing people, animals, birds, fish and reptiles all over the planet.

Chances are you have wiped out your filter bacteria too, so go congratulate the moron at the shop who told you to shove anti-biotics in the tank.
I understand your concern. I really do, but this is not helpful. Do you know what is wrong? Do you have a suggestion other than antibiotics? I'm completely open to not using meds.

Keep water clean, add indian almond / keep anti fungusmeds on hand, remove possible sharp decorations and keep a close eye on the fish.
Thank you so much. 9
Thank you so much. I wondered about possible injuries but his/her fins are closed as well. Then there is the Gloshark rubbing on everything. Kinda like he is tagging things???

I understand your concern. I really do, but this is not helpful. Do you know what is wrong? Do you have a suggestion other than antibiotics? I'm completely open to not using meds.

While Colin may of been a little blunt in his reply, what he is saying is correct. Too often fish shops and people who like to think of themselves as experts suggest antibiotics without knowing what the real issue is. They are not a fix all solution and in fact can cause more problems than they solve, particularly if the real ailment is something that can not be fixed by them.

DoubleDutch has suggested a natural alternative to antibiotics and anti fungal medication in the form of Indian almond leaves, or as they are often known, catappa leaves. While they may not be a magical cure to your problem they certainly won't harm your fish or your aquarium and are certainly worth a try.

As for the fish shown in this thread, they both really do look like rubbing injuries, so the first thing to look for is any sharp objects or gaps that are too narrow for the fish to squeeze through without forcing itself.

Edit to add- If your fish is continually rubbing on things, keep an eye out for white spots on the skin or any other visual issues. A loss of appetite along with white spots and rubbing could indicate that your fish has ich. I'm not saying it has, but it is worth keeping an eye out for.

Last edited:
Could even be it is inflicted while flashing (for other reasons). Might be a parasite but could be ammonia / nitrites / chlorine or sonething different irritating.

While Colin may of been a little blunt in his reply, what he is saying is correct. Too often fish shops and people who like to think of themselves as experts suggest antibiotics without knowing what the real issue is. They are not a fix all solution and in fact can cause more problems than they solve, particularly if the real ailment is something that can not be fixed by them.

DoubleDutch has suggested a natural alternative to antibiotics and anti fungal medication in the form of Indian almond leaves, or as they are often known, catappa leaves. While they may not be a magical cure to your problem they certainly won't harm your fish or your aquarium and are certainly worth a try.

As for the fish shown in this thread, they both really do look like rubbing injuries, so the first thing to look for is any sharp objects or gaps that are too narrow for the fish to squeeze through without forcing itself.

Edit to add- If your fish is continually rubbing on things, keep an eye out for white spots on the skin or any other visual issues. A loss of appetite along with white spots and rubbing could indicate that your fish has ich. I'm not saying it has, but it is worth keeping an eye out for.
Thank you so much. No known sharp objects in the tank. The little guy hangs against the Green Machine most of the time. I know he is growing so maybe he tried to wedge himself into a spot he no longer fits?
About 3 months ago I lost more than half my tank due to either a parasite or bacterial disease. I noticed white spots and treated for Ich. I lost 15 fish in 24 hours. It was heartbreaking. Treating with antibiotics is what stopped the carnage. So to say I'm very vigilant is putting it mildly.

Could even be it is inflicted while flashing (for other reasons). Might be a parasite but could be ammonia / nitrites / chlorine or sonething different irritating.
Thank you!

Nitrites/ammonia/nitrates run mostly zero. I dechlorinate my water changes with a filter and stress coat.

I will look for Indian Almond Leaves.

I have ordered the Indian Almond Leaves, but if tannins in the tank is the goal my new driftwood is already leaching a good amount. The meds are helping the Gloshark not flash but I lost my Pleco.

I yesterday water and the results were ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrates 5.

There are no sharp edges I my tank, at least none I can find. If the Pleco injured himself I'm not sure how he did it. I wonder if one of the other fish attacked him? Or if there ARE parasites in my tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back