Hiya All

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Boyden

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the hobby really.  I have a community tank with Platy's, Golden Pleco's, Panda Cory's and Peppered Cory's.  The plec's server the usual purpose although I wish I had purchased differently, they're entertaining.  My Platy's are nice and colourful and always on the move amongst my plants and the Cory's are hysterical to watch!

I really enjoy the hobby and previously I managed an exotic pet shop and bred and kept a range of Snakes, lizards, tarantulas and other invertebrates.  However, alas I had three kids and all that had to slowly fizzle out.  Now the entire family enjoy looking after our community tank and I'm hoping to try to hatch out some Killifish 'Fundulopanchax Gardneri Jos Plateau'.  I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I'll find out when the eggs arrive in the post.

I look forward to bugging you all with novice questions one after the other I have no doubt!

Cheers

Marc

welcomeani.gif

How big is your tank? How long have you had it set up? How many of each fish do you have? As soon as you can manage it, we'd love to see photos!

One more question: what kind of substrate do you have?

That is all (for now).

It's a 54 litre tank if memory serves.

I've had the tank for a few months.

I have 4 Peppered Cory's (still only small), 4 Panda Cory's (still small also), 8 Platy's and 2 golden plec.  All the fish seem content but I think we're considering getting a larger tank on the go to cycle so that the Cory's will have more space as they grow.

The substrate is a fine gravel but I have concerns the Cory's may damage their barbels (not that there's any sign yet).  So sand may be a consideration for the future.

I'll put a photo up a little later.

fish.gif

Welcome to the forum, Marc! 
welcomeani.gif

Your tank looks great but it really would be a good idea to upgrade because it is rather overstocked...

It's great to see you're considering this though and when you make the move, sand will look great!

Your gravel looks quite fine so that's why your corys won't look affected at the minute but with sand they're more active and great fish to watch :)

If you take some of the gravel and rub between your fingers, if it feels sharp then it's really not good for the cory you have. A tiny rounded gravel or sand is best for them. And hurrah that you're looking to upgrade! Your tank looks very nice.

Thanks folks :)  I do like to watch the Cory's so anything to see them rushing around a bit more :)

All friendly advice is gratefully received 

fish.gif

Boyden said:
Cory's so anything to see them rushing around a bit more
smile.png
You'll see them digging/sifting through the sand too, that's quite good to watch!

You should check out the cory HERE who won fish of the year. Such a wonderful demonstration of this!

This Old Spouse said:
You should check out the cory HERE who won fish of the year. Such a wonderful demonstration of this!
What a stunning fish and a wonderful example of how Cory's feed on sand.  Am I right in thinking it's a Panda?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back