Hitch Hiker Id

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

372xp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this is? I am not very good at IDing things but I thought it may be a sea hare. There are loads of egg cases in my sump on the glass ,skimmer and return pump but not in the refugium. The picture was taken this morning as the lights were coming on in sunrise mode, the colour is green although it looks quite yellow due to the lighting.
It is in the center of the first picture and to the right of the heater in the second.

How big is it? It looks like a nudibranch but that's really no help. There are many species and some are beneficial and some are downright nasty. In the pic it looks quite small and I don't think sea hares look like sea hares when they are that small. Maybe google pics of nudibranchs and see if you get lucky and come across a pic that looks like yours.  

Looks to me like a species of Elysia, Thuridilla, or a close relative. They are "sap sucking" sea slugs that feed on algae, often macroalgae where they pierce the waxy outer layer to eat the juices. I don't think there are any members of the family that eat corals. If these are the ones I was asking about in your other thread with regards to corals being munched, they won't be the culprit (assuming I've guessed the correct family for them; they certainly don't look like the typical coral-eater).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back