His Fins Split!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

grownocean

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Today I noticed that Neptune's one fin has split at the edges. I have one decoration that has a couple plastic plants on it, so perhaps he caught himself on the edges. Also, the water where I live is on the harder side (7.3) so could that also be a possibility? I've noticed that the edges around all his fins look slightly curled. I feel really bad for him. Do you think this will heal on it's own, or do I need to treat him? I'll post a picture later today

Curled fins can also occur from high ammonia levels. I dont know your tank size but if you have a 1-3 gal tank you should do 25- 50% water changes daily. and 100% water change once a week.

up your maintenance. if you have a filter to the tank then you can get away with doing 50% water changes a week. do not over feed, and cut feeding to 3 times a week in small quantities then that'll keep the water clean.
once you have done that and the fins seem to be getting worse even with the new treated water then you can put some methylene blue in, and it should help fix whats going on. you can only use it if you don't have live plants. not sure on shrimp.

Warm clean water is the best treatment. Up maintenance, and keep him warm.

It is a filtered tank and I have a heater, which usually sits around 78-80F. I did a 95% water change two days ago and the ammonia is at 0.
Here's the section that split. 

unnamed.jpg

Wow. I think I just figured it out. I just went to check on him and I couldn't find him anywhere in the tank. Suddenly, he came swimming out of being literally INSIDE the filter!! Is that normal?! I don't think he's sick honestly. He's brightly colored and active... But wow. I've never seen a fish swim inside it's own filter.

Mine like to swim near the filter intake! and loves to stick himself to the protein skimmer as well! and when i rehomed him in his own tank, he still love swimming at my internal filter as well!! not inside though!

What type of filter? How is he getting in it?

My beta used to let himself get sucked against the filter intake when the light was off because it's near the top of the water and holds him there. Fortunatly for me it didn't damage him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back