Nix

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok I was thinking.. ( This is a rarity) What does those neat looking little
loaches (by which i mean the Hillstream) eat? Alagea? I dunno any info would
be pretty cool about these guys. Anyone ever had one? any problems? O
and how big do they get? (other random thoughts are appreciatied) :alien:

hi nix!

i had 3 hillstream loaches (gastromyzon punculatus) once. but sadly, i made the huge mistake of not havin done enuff 'research' on these beautiful fish b4 i actually bought them out of love at 1st sight! all my 3 babies died of injury after i added salt & a lil too much anti-ich solution to my water :(

from wat little i knew, these fish also known as the hong kong plecos or butterfly loaches, come from fast-flowing streams of borneo. so they thrive in cool water with current & plenty of oxygen. u shd keep them in groups of at least 3. i really missed the cute battles my hillstream loaches engaged in when they pushed each other all over the tank walls!! they were all ard 1.5 inch each & these fellas can grow up till 3 inches. they also love lotsa hiding places so bogwood or caves are a must.

i fed mine with sinking pellets & flakes. they also loved frozen bloodworm. i read somewhere they are actually aufwuch (the tiny organisms that live within algae) eaters.

i guess that's abt all that i can share. i remember keeping some good articles on the hillstream loaches. but i gotta go dig up my files. maybe when i found them, i'll post for u.

Yes they, get about 3 inches, and thrive with a few things - A current, cooler water (No more than 24C) and good airation. I have good airation, I lowered my tank temperature to 24/25 and I recently bought a submersible current pump, so I will probably be getting one of these this christmas.

hi there
we just got a little hillstream loach 2 weeks ago & love him. i know they like the cooler water as mentioned & also seem to spend a lot of time parked on the wall in the air bubbles. we're off to get a friend for him this weekend :wub: :D

Eelzor said:
Yes they, get about 3 inches, and thrive with a few things - A current, cooler water (No more than 24C) and good airation. I have good airation, I lowered my tank temperature to 24/25 and I recently bought a submersible current pump, so I will probably be getting one of these this christmas.
A good summary, Hillstream Loaches don't eat Algae they eat Micro-Orgasms in Algae! Also Bloodworm's and any other small live-formed crustaions.

Now that I look on that about 2 months ago, I sound so stupid. I never got one of those by the way. Just the fact that they cannot grow big put me off. -_-

LOL Eelzor,they are pretty small :lol:
I have three Hillstream loaches, I've had them for a couple of weeks and they're awesome! I just wish I had them in a species tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back