High-tech Planted Tanks

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
Thought this may benefit some of our less experienced members.

The high-tech planted tank

The high-tech planted aquarium is the most effective way at growing a wide range of plants successfully. Virtually any aquarium plant can be grown with relative ease enabling us to create beautiful aquascapes, limited only by our imagination. There are six principles.

Filtration

External filters are the best option, even for small tanks. Overfilter and understock with fish. This will reduce filter maintenance and algae growth. Minimise surface agitation to avoid CO2 losses but keep flow rates up to allow the effective distribution of nutrients.

Lighting

Generally the more light the better. Virtually all aquariums are supplied with insufficient light so supplementing tubes will be necessary. Aim for 2.5 watts per gallon minimum with good reflectors, this will normally equate around 4 x T8 tubes or T5 equivalent. Use a plug-in-timer to obtain a 10 hour photoperiod.

CO2

CO2 injection is an essential component for the high-tech planted aquarium. Too little, or unstable levels cause algae. Aim for 30ppm. Pressurised systems are by far the most effective way at delivering CO2.

Substrate

There are many effective substrates available. Either an inert type (gravel, sand) mixed nutrient-rich additives (laterite, root tabs etc.) or a complete substrate that is 100% nutrient-rich (Flourite, Eco-Complete etc). Choose what complements your intended aquascape, taste and budget.

Fertilisation

High-growth planted aquariums need plenty of nutrients, even nitrates and phosphates. EI is a very effective way at supplying these nutrients and has the benefit of not relying on inaccurate test kits. Excess nutrients do not cause algae in the heavily planted aquarium, contrary to what you may read elsewhere.

Planting

When setting up the aquarium it is vital to plant very heavily (75%+ substrate covered) with fast growing stem plants. These will combat algae that is prevalent in new tanks until a biological balance has been achieved. When the aquarium has settled in these “weeds” can be gradually replaced with our desired plants i.e. more demanding, slower growing species.

way to simplify the process..your talents and experience are greatly appreciated..wish i had this when i started out.. :good:

PLease add what "EI" means, and PIN IT !

I like it, George, High-tech in a nutshell. Great work. It should be pinned. Are you going to do the low-tech counterpart? That might be good as well.

:good:

Are you going to do the low-tech counterpart? That might be good as well.
I wasn't planning to. I have no "real" experience with low-tech, only what I have read through the likes of Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium.

Who does low-tech here? Jimbooo's got one I think and Mr. Miagi too, if I'm thinking straight. There may be others. I'm the same as you, I won't have a low-tech until I set up my 20g in FL. I just thought it would be a nice idea to give all the options with their pros and cons. How's your trip so far? It's nice to see you pop in once and a while.

llj :D

dumb question but...

how does one combat the ph drop brought on by co2?

Who does low-tech here? Jimbooo's got one I think and Mr. Miagi too, if I'm thinking straight. There may be others. I'm the same as you, I won't have a low-tech until I set up my 20g in FL. I just thought it would be a nice idea to give all the options with their pros and cons. How's your trip so far? It's nice to see you pop in once and a while.

llj :D

I would agree, we all rave about EI which is cool and is a great way of doing things, but the other side of the coin can be great too, would be nice to have both sides represented. Would mean newbie people wouldn't get 'forced' into EI as the be all and end all and not know about the alterative.

Just a thought

dumb question but...

how does one combat the ph drop brought on by co2?

You dont, most people need to pH drop created. You could however increase KH by adding bicarbonate of soda which should stop it dropping as far, but you'll have to dose everytime you do a water change

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back