High Ph

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Emeraldjones

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, 
I've got a 44L tank that is home to 3 guppies, live plants and a loads of bladder snails that came with them. The filter is fully cycled, ammonia=0 nitrites=0 nitrate= 40ppm. The pH of the tank water is 8.2.

Sorry if this is an obvious question but why would the ph have gone up? My tap water is ph 7.4. Will it go down again? The fish have been in for about 2 weeks.

you could put some driftwood into the aquarium to lower the ph a bit.

Try leaving the tap water to stand overnight before you test it. It might have a lot of co2 dissolved in it which will lower the pH temporarily. It will disperse and give you a true reading of your pH.

Any introduction of life will cause the PH to change, even if temporary.  You can always buy a chemical called PH Down.  I do my best to avoid chemicals if I can when it comes to freshwater tanks.  Some fish give off more acid, some more alkiline.  But with only three fish, it can't be the guppies.  Well, considering that the base of your tap water is 7.4 to begin with and going up to 8.2, that isn't really much of a spike considering other tanks, but really, get PH down or if you can afford it.

OMG, I need to edit this for a minute..........levahe, I know that show you are using for your avatar!  Ulysses 31!  I haven't seen that show since I was a little girl ;)

It's very difficult to lower pH, unless you also reduce the hardness. The chemicals that adjust pH don't do anything to remove the minerals that cause the pH to be higher and those minerals buffer the pH back up in a very short time, leading to pH swings, which are very bad for fish.

Guppies like hard, alkaline water anyway.

It could be your substrate that's dissolving.

I would do a test; get two clean jam jars or glasses. fill them up with tap water. Put some of your substrate in one and leave the other just with the water. Leave them for at least 24 hours, then test the pH of both.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'd rather avoid chemicals to neutralise the water. I may get some driftwood as I was thinking I need some wood for aesthetics sake anyway. 

fluttermoth said:

I would do a test; get two clean jam jars or glasses. fill them up with tap water. Put some of your substrate in one and leave the other just with the water. Leave them for at least 24 hours, then test the pH of both.

Ooh more tests! I had no idea keeping fish would appeal so much to the mad scientist in me! I will do that. Is it normal for substrate to dissolve or does that mean i have a sub standard gravel?

I wanted to get shrimp for this tank and I'm worried they wont like it now. 

Some substrates do leach a few minerals; in most tanks it's not a problem, and it doesn't mean it's substandard. It's worth testing it though (I know what you mean about 'mad scientist; it's an added dimension of fun in this hobby ;) )

There are a lot of shrimps that prefer harder water too, so just check before you buy any :)

kittycook said:

OMG, I need to edit this for a minute..........levahe, I know that show you are using for your avatar!  Ulysses 31!  I haven't seen that show since I was a little girl
wink.png

cool1.gif
 they don't make em like they used to ey, I see you are a thundercats fan
good.gif

Wait, does hard water= alkaline water and soft water = acidic?? I havent tested the hardness of my water as I dont have the kit, but as I live in London I assume is hard as nails which would explain my pH. 

Usually it does, yes, although 'mad made water' can be adjusted, so it's not a hard and fast rule.

I have relatives in London and the water there is pretty hard. Just have fish that prefer harder, alkaline water; there are plenty to pick from :)

levahe said:

OMG, I need to edit this for a minute..........levahe, I know that show you are using for your avatar!  Ulysses 31!  I haven't seen that show since I was a little girl
wink.png

cool1.gif
 they don't make em like they used to ey, I see you are a thundercats fan
good.gif

Yeah, I'm a huge Thundercats fan.  Normally on other fan websites I go by the name queen_lynxana, but I figured since this site is an informative site, I would just use my regular email nick name.

Most reactions

Back