High Nitrates! Help!

C & D

New Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Powys, Wales, UK
Last week my nitrates were fine, just did a water test and they're very high. This week I added 4 new fish could this be the reason? I've just done a 25% water change and I'm gonna do as many as I can do for the next week or two, any other advice? Thanks. 8-)
 
Last week my nitrates were fine, just did a water test and they're very high. This week I added 4 new fish could this be the reason? I've just done a 25% water change and I'm gonna do as many as I can do for the next week or two, any other advice? Thanks. 8-)

Hi - could you tell us a bit more please? What are the actual ammonia/nitrite/nitrate readings your getting? Is it a liquid or strip test? what day did you add the fish, and what fish are they? (sorry I havent had a chance to look through any of your previous posts if you've already said there)

you can probably do a 80% water change quite safely (although make sure theres enough water left for the fish ;)), but knowing what your actual readings are would help!

assuming the nitrates are under 60ppm there's not too much urgency quite yet, although 10 - 30ppm would be better!

hth
 
nitrates or nitrites?
i def wouldnt go as far as 80% water change tho,i have made that mistake myself very recently
 
Ammonia and nitrate readings are 0 but nitrate is 80-100ppm!!! This has happened in a week! O yeah and my test kit is a liquid kit. Any more help? Thanks 8-)
 
Ammonia and nitrate readings are 0 but nitrate is 80-100ppm!!! This has happened in a week! O yeah and my test kit is a liquid kit. Any more help? Thanks 8-)

what are the nitrate levels in your tap water? if they are a bit high, then you'll see higher levels quicker so might need to do more water changes than usual. another 50% water change should get that down quite a bit - if you do smaller water changes, you'll need to do it more often (e.g. two 25% changes = a total 37.5% water change, not 50%)

shelaghfishface - what's your reason for not doing a bigger water change? as long as there's plenty of water for the fish, and the filter media isn't out of water for too long, there shouldn't be any harm in doing a larger change
 
No the nitrate levels are basically non existent in my tap water so surely it must be the addition of the new fish? But shouldn't this result in an ammonia spike rather than nitrate? I'll do a large water change tomorrow and test again. Thanks 8-)
 
No the nitrate levels are basically non existent in my tap water so surely it must be the addition of the new fish? But shouldn't this result in an ammonia spike rather than nitrate? I'll do a large water change tomorrow and test again. Thanks 8-)
it depends - 1ppm ammonia makes (iirc) about 2.4ppm nitrite and about 3.6ppm nitrate. so if your fish have added an extra 1ppm ammonia per day, after 7 days thats actually 25.2ppm extra nitrate!

as your bacteria might already be handling 2ppm ammonia per day, they can easily double in numbers to handle the extra 1ppm. the same with the nitrites. with the nitrates, there is no bacteria to clear them (unless you have plants), so the ammonia and nitrite spikes might have happened within a day and left just nitrates behind!
 
ahhh so as long as i cn keep th water changes goin the nitrates should return 2 normal. I'll keep going. Thanks 8-)
 
Ammonia and nitrate readings are 0 but nitrate is 80-100ppm!!! This has happened in a week! O yeah and my test kit is a liquid kit. Any more help? Thanks 8-)



you did it again :lol:

ammonia and nitrate are 0 nitrate is 80-100ppm ????? so i assume nitr I te is 0??

ian, i wouldnt do one that big as i had a very nasty incident the other day,im sure he could get it down with frequent small ones rather than 1 huge one, just a thort i may well be wrong
 
o yeah sorry I meant nitrITE is 0, nitrATE is 80-100. I'll keep doin frequent 30% water changes, how often do you recommend? 8-)
 
ian, i wouldnt do one that big as i had a very nasty incident the other day,im sure he could get it down with frequent small ones rather than 1 huge one, just a thort i may well be wrong

it was just out of curiosity that's all! i'm thinking from a scientific point of view, as long as its not a ug filter there should be no ill effects of doing a large (if not complete) water change, which would reduce the nitrates faster, but it doesn't really make too much difference either way :)
 
Hi C&D,

You most probably have had an ammonia and nitrite spike, but assuming you have a mature cycled filter, you most likely won't have noticed as your filter will have dealt with it pretty quickly, leaving only the nitrate.

If your tap water has virtually no nitrate, just do a few partial water changes to lower the level. I don't think there is any need to do large water changes (50% or more), as the most recent scientific evidence suggests that most fish will tolerate nitrate levels of 400ppm without negative effect, so 100ppm isn't really too much of a problem, unless you are keeping very sensitive fish, like Discus.

Also, remember that large swings in water parameters can be detrimental to your fish. Normally, large water changes don't present this problem in a well maintained tank, as regular water changes keep the tank water parameters roughly the same as the tap water parameters, but in this case, your tank nitrate level is high and tap water nitrate level is low. Large water changes at this point could drastically change the water parameters and may do more harm than the actual nitrate level itself.

If it were ammonia or nitrite which were high, i would recommend that large water changes should be performed, as these toxins are far more deadly to fish than the change in nitrate level, however, as nitrate is relatively non-toxic, reducing it slowly will be more than sufficient.

I would suggest that you start with a 25% change every other day, to reduce the nitrate level slowly. Once nitrate levels in the tank come back in line with the water from the tap (or there-abouts), you can cut back to 25% weekly, or whatever your chosen water change routine may be.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
o yeah sorry I meant nitrITE is 0, nitrATE is 80-100. I'll keep doin frequent 30% water changes, how often do you recommend? 8-)

they're easy to confuse lol :)

i'd try to leave it a few hours or a day to avoid stressing the fish too much, but that's just a guess i'm afraid
 

Most reactions

Back
Top