High ammonia with certain plants?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I'm going to be having 5 java ferns, 4 anubias coffeefolia, lots of java moss, and lots of red root floaters... And I want to know if they can survive in ammonia levels of 3ppm during the cycling process.

So I'm going to be having 5 java ferns, 4 anubias coffeefolia, lots of java moss, and lots of red root floaters... And I want to know if they can survive in ammonia levels of 3ppm during the cycling process.
Only the floaters are going to be any good for your cycling.

We choose fast growing plants to help with cycling, because it is the growth of the plants that uses up the ammonia, etc..
If a plant isn't going to be growing quickly, then it isn't going to be using up much ammonia.

Whilst the plants will be okay at that level of ammonia in the water, the ammonia isn't really going to go anywhere fast...until the floaters get their skates on and start doing their rapid growth thing.

Oooooh look!
I've created another post, just with YOU in mind.

Plants arranged by Growth Rate.

Only the floaters are going to be any good for your cycling.

We choose fast growing plants to help with cycling, because it is the growth of the plants that uses up the ammonia, etc..
If a plant isn't going to be growing quickly, then it isn't going to be using up much ammonia.

Whilst the plants will be okay at that level of ammonia in the water, the ammonia isn't really going to go anywhere fast...until the floaters get their skates on and start doing their rapid growth thing.

Oooooh look!
I've created another post, just with YOU in mind.

Plants arranged by Growth Rate.
I just want to have them in the tank while cycling so there is more growing space for bacteria... And the plants will be getting "acquainted" while the tanks cycling for fish and maybe the high ammonia will kill any snails on the plants.

I just want to have them in the tank while cycling so there is more growing space for bacteria... And the plants will be getting "acquainted" while the tanks cycling for fish and maybe the high ammonia will kill any snails on the plants.
Remember my post about getting rid of 'passengers' on plants?
The plants were dipped into a dilute bleach for only a very short time, before being thoroughly rinsed.
When I cycled both of my planted tanks, I used Nerite snails to help the process along, with them contributing tiny parts of ammonia from their waste. That said, because I'd thought about what I was doing, I had relatively fast-growing plants in place and they took care of the ammonia and its by-products.

Yes, they can survive in those levels of ammonia

Remember my post about getting rid of 'passengers' on plants?
The plants were dipped into a dilute bleach for only a very short time, before being thoroughly rinsed.
When I cycled both of my planted tanks, I used Nerite snails to help the process along, with them contributing tiny parts of ammonia from their waste. That said, because I'd thought about what I was doing, I had relatively fast-growing plants in place and they took care of the ammonia and its by-products.
I would do that, but in not doing a cycle based on the plants

My mom thinks the amounts of the plants I chose is a little much... Do you guys think that 5 java ferns and 4 anubias barteri coffeefolia is too much for a 20H? Also, how many red root floaters should I get to start with?

You don't need much red root floater, it grows. I got a small pot for my 23 litre tank (12 inch square footprint) and I have to throw handfuls away every month or less. Today there was so much it was nearly an inch deep :blink: About half of it went in the green recycling bag. If you weren't so far away you could have had some.

You don't need much red root floater, it grows. I got a small pot for my 23 litre tank (12 inch square footprint) and I have to throw handfuls away every month or less. Today there was so much it was nearly an inch deep :blink: About half of it went in the green recycling bag. If you weren't so far away you could have had some.
Wow.... That's... Thats a lot... I'll probably just get a small bunch then

My mom thinks the amounts of the plants I chose is a little much... Do you guys think that 5 java ferns and 4 anubias barteri coffeefolia is too much for a 20H? Also, how many red root floaters should I get to start with?
Your Mum really doesn't have a clue. :rolleyes:
I will say, however, that you don't appear to have ordered(?)/bought(?) any particularly useful plants for your job of cycling, apart from the floating plants.

I'll say it once more for the last time;

Plants use ammonia when they're growing.
If they're not growing, they don't use up ammonia.

Slow-growing plants grow slowly...so they use very little ammonia over a long period of time.
Fast-growing plants grow fast...so they use lots of ammonia quickly.

One big problem is that whilst some people actually research the fish before they buy them, they rarely research the plants.

Then the plants die and they say plants are not for them.:rolleyes:
Again, I'm not using the plants for the cycle (even though I know they'll help a little) I just want to have the tank ready before putting any fish in there

Ok, so ive been looking around online and some people have said that levels of ammonia like 3ppm can be dealy for aquatic plants and "melt" them in a way... (I know, I tend to do more research than I should and I get lost and then overwhelmed, irritated, and then mad lol)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back