Hi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

masternige

Reaction score
Hi folks, I have got a 300L tank only had it 2 months and stumbled across this site while looking to pinch some great ideas on looking after my fish. I have only got 10 black neon's at the mo. I have a Aqua One Ocellaris 1400 pump and filter with 2 heaters in my tank one either side. I am planning on getting some more fish, just not sure what yet. It would be nice to have some colour in the tank so open to some ideas.

Welcome to TFF. You’ve got a good sized tank there and lots of room for more fish. We’d love to see a picture of what you’ve got in there so far.

What a good sized tank. You have a lot of colorful choices for fish, depending on your goals.

Have you kept fish before?

If you’re interested in a general community tank, people often look for fish that hang out at the bottom, other fish that hang out on the substrate, and other fish that swim around mid-tank. Then you usually have something interesting to look at somewhere in your tank at all times.

I like the South American cichlids so one of my favorite colorful fish is the Blue Acara or the Electric Blue Acara. The German blue ram is also a pretty fish and you might also consider the apistogramma (dwarf cichlids).

There are some very colorful killifish which might interest you, like the Clown Killi or a Bluefin Notho.

I am probably like most others on this board as I always get a little excited when someone posts about their new tank and have yet to stock it. We look forward to seeing how your tank evolves.

Hi and Welcome!

I seem to be saying this a lot lately but......Harlequins!
I love mine, they're beautiful to look at, are peaceful and get on with everything else, never any trouble with them.
And they'd contrast nicely with your neons. I have mine with black swordtails, only females, am over trying to rehome fry!
I'm also considering adding some pearly white ricefish.
You have so many choices!
Good luck

Welcome to the forum!

Hi folks, I have got a 300L tank only had it 2 months and stumbled across this site while looking to pinch some great ideas on looking after my fish. I have only got 10 black neon's at the mo. I have a Aqua One Ocellaris 1400 pump and filter with 2 heaters in my tank one either side. I am planning on getting some more fish, just not sure what yet. It would be nice to have some colour in the tank so open to some ideas.
Perhaps you will consider keeping your aquarium as species tank. You can get complementary color from various aquatic plants and decorations. I would avoid overstocking the tank regardless of what you read here or on the web. Personally, I think a group of say, 20 black neons in a heavily planted 75-gallon aquarium would be striking. And, welcome to the forum!

Hello and welcome :)

Post the pH and GH (water hardness) to allow people to hone their ideas for suitable fish. You should find these on your water providers quality report on their webpage.

Post the pH and GH (water hardness) to allow people to hone their ideas for suitable fish. You should find these on your water providers quality report on their webpage.
Hi, I have been on my water board website. I can see I have PH = 7 I can not find a reading for GH

Hi, I have been on my waterboards website I can see my PH reading is 7 I can not see a result for GH what is it?

Perhaps you will consider keeping your aquarium as species tank. You can get complementary color from various aquatic plants and decorations. I would avoid overstocking the tank regardless of what you read here or on the web. Personally, I think a group of say, 20 black neons in a heavily planted 75-gallon aquarium would be striking. And, welcome to the forum!
Hi, I currently have fake plastic plants. Is there any benefit to getting real plants? If so what type do you suggest. Can I have any plants with any fish?

Hi and Welcome!

I seem to be saying this a lot lately but......Harlequins!
I love mine, they're beautiful to look at, are peaceful and get on with everything else, never any trouble with them.
And they'd contrast nicely with your neons. I have mine with black swordtails, only females, am over trying to rehome fry!
I'm also considering adding some pearly white ricefish.
You have so many choices!
Good luck
Hi, thanks for the suggestion I will have a look at them. In fact I just did they look quite nice. I will put them on a list when deciding what other fish can live with my black neons.

Welcome to TFF. You’ve got a good sized tank there and lots of room for more fish. We’d love to see a picture of what you’ve got in there so far.

What a good sized tank. You have a lot of colorful choices for fish, depending on your goals.

Have you kept fish before?

If you’re interested in a general community tank, people often look for fish that hang out at the bottom, other fish that hang out on the substrate, and other fish that swim around mid-tank. Then you usually have something interesting to look at somewhere in your tank at all times.

I like the South American cichlids so one of my favorite colorful fish is the Blue Acara or the Electric Blue Acara. The German blue ram is also a pretty fish and you might also consider the apistogramma (dwarf cichlids).

There are some very colorful killifish which might interest you, like the Clown Killi or a Bluefin Notho.

I am probably like most others on this board as I always get a little excited when someone posts about their new tank and have yet to stock it. We look forward to seeing how your tank evolves.
Hi, no I have not kept fish before. I have just been on the net looking at some of the fish you mention. I see some grow to a couple of inches are they to big for my black neons? I do like the look of the Clown Killi fish and the Bluefin Notho can these live with black neons or not?

Most reactions

trending

Back