Hi, Newbie Here Looking For Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SurreySam

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Sam and I have a cichlid problem. Well some wouldn't see it as a problem, but a pair of our keyhole cichlids have spawned and we now have around 40 to 50 inch long babies (they're about 5 weeks old). Gorgeous though they are and very entertaining, this pushes our tank occupancy about 50 over its capacity.

I've approached some local aquarium centres and no-body wants them. I'm not looking to sell them, just find them all decent homes because we are rapidly running out of space and I don't want to consider the only other option!

If anyone has any advice on how we can find homes for them (getting more tanks is not an option due to lack if space) please let me know.

Our tank is 110 litres, 4 feet long. Adult occupants; 2 fire mouth cichlids, 4 keyhole cichlids, 4 Odessa barbs, 2 ruby barbs, 2 clown loaches, a bristle nose plec, a Cory Dora and a couple of tetras.

I'll give a run down of your stocking
2 fire mouth cichlids suitable but only just
, 4 keyhole cichlids, I'd say 4 is 2 too many
4 Odessa barbs, Need bigger shoal
2 ruby barbs need bigger shoal
, 2 clown loaches rehome immediately unsuitable for 110 liter
, a bristle nose Pleco good
, a Cory Dora need bigger numbers
and a couple of tetras what species? Needs bigger shoal

Overall your stocking needs revising. I wouldnt keep so many cichlids in a 110 liter. If you can't rehome or upgrade tank I'm afraid there is only one option.....
Sorry to have such a depressing post

Onto a lighter side of things,
Welcome to the forums and I hope you sort things out with your fish.

I agree with above. Your tank is very very overstocked.

List your fish on gumtree for free. You'll be shocked the amount of people that turn up. Good luck anyway.

You can also advertise on the classified section of this forum. I've no doubt there are other forums you could also do the same on. Plus Aquarist Classified is also another one you can put a free ad on. Good luck!

I'd also think about your stock as a whole in terms of selling/giving away as per TallTree, not just the Cichlids.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My other half was a bit fish happy when we first got the tank so maybe he'll listen now when I say our shoals are inappropriate!

SurreySam said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. My other half was a bit fish happy when we first got the tank so maybe he'll listen now when I say our shoals are inappropriate!
That's often the problem at the start when you haven't had the experience of keeping fish before. Having said that, I still get a voice or voices in my ear when we go fish shopping saying that they like a particular fish! It's easier to explain to my wife but I've had an upset daughter a few times! Thankfully she's now a bit older and understands that certain fish can't be kept together and others need special conditions for us to keep them!

Good luck with your hobby!
smile.png

You could try an ad on Aquarist Classified.

Welcome to the forum. There are many good places online that you can try and post an ad for free fish, best of luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back