hey there, this is Pov. i would love to chat about any thing i have lots to learn.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

If you use calcium and magnesium chlorides it won't affect KH but will increase GH.

If you use calcium and magnesium bicarbonate then it will increase the KH.

It depends on which type of calcium and magnesium you use.
If you use calcium carbonate it increases both KH and GH ;)

yes but calcium carbonate doesn't dissolve well in water so bicarbonates are better for aquarium use. :)

that's interesting , where its either h2c03, hco3 or co3 maybe c02.
magnesium hydroxide has a soulibilty of 0.0064g/l
calcium hydroxide is 1.7g/l
sodium hydroxide is 1000g/l
plus the extra h2co3 is more hydrogen.
maybe it's like alcohols where type 1 type 2 and type 3 are very different.( grog ,ethanol or opium).

yes but calcium carbonate doesn't dissolve well in water so bicarbonates are better for aquarium use. :)
No it’d actually be the opposite. We don’t want our buffers to dissolve quickly, because then our KH drops, followed by our PH.

then again it,s abilty to form the solids in the water with less energy, where ca + ion form with any of the carbonate ions in the presence of co2 which is well I think the first measure that is changing in a changing ph coz , co2 ph down o2 ph up. but I think this is still to basic of science this may work in your conditioned water but in a real environment there is other factors at play that could be inconceivable.

AT COLIN …. which again brings me to why isn't sodium even measured in a kh environment huh !!!
coz its not one of the usual carbonates found in fresh water well that doubly means that aquarium tests are misleading and gay.....

an example might be sulfates forming with sodium into sodium thio sulfates.
just like the negative ions forming naturally precipitates like this may form.
ClCH2CO2H + Na2S2O3 → Na[O3S2CH2CO2H] + NaCl …………
ClCH2CO2H is a carboxyilic acid part of the carbonic acid system. you can see salt forms again from the energy.
Na[O3S2CH2CO2H] + H2O → HSCH2CO2H + NaHSO4
and it rebalances.

Most reactions

Back