Hermit Crab

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liz05

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two small hermit crabs living in a 5 gallon fish tank with moist sand, a large piece of driftwood, a small pool with rocks on the bottom, a sponge, a shell dish with food, and a plastic palm tree. One crab came from the county fair, and I felt sorry for him and bought him a friend. The friend likes to bury himself... all the way at the bottom of three inches of sand. I read that they tend to bury themselves when they are about to molt, but this has been going on for days - shouldn't he have molted by now, if that was the case? It just worries me, im afraid he's going to suffocate or something. So I keep digging him out, and he keeps burying himself back in. Someone tell me he's not going to kill himself! :lol:

A friend of mine has hermie's(19) she has had a few that have stayed buried for as long as 2 weeks. Evedently it's a hermie hider... Get some bigger shells as suggested and just keep an eye on it.

perhaps you can remove some of the sand so that it's only 1" deep? Then he won't bury so far down...

But they like to bury deep, don't they? I've got quite a few choices for him when he decides to switch.. 2 weeks! Thats a long time... but I can't keep an eye on it when its buried! :lol: In 2 weeks I will be nuts. :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Back