HELP!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lazarusthefishboy10

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just set up an 80L aquarium. I did a walstad method planted tank, and the tannins from the organic potting soil are turning the water browny-yellow and is lowering the ph. Please help me? How do I get rid of the tannins without removing the soil? PLEASE HELP!!!

You don't.

You probably have a massive ammonia reading too.

Using soils, mulch, manures or anything else organic in the aquarium will cause problems for a long time and it could be more than 6 months before you can add fish and have a stable environment.

Not very experienced with this kind of stuff, but what about tipping it with a clay based soil? That might not have as many tannins releasing into the water.

I will leave it in and just do water changes to keep the tannins stable, because i just realised, here's a question for all of you, where do the fish come from in the wild? Lakes, rivers, creeks... right? So if you think about it, all those bodies of water has tannins from dirt, branches, dead leaves etc. and that produces tannins naturally just like my new aquarium. So it is safe! And the tank is now officially cycled (so I'll be getting some more fish this weekend) and I can put any fish that thrives in ph's of 7.0-7.8! So, I think it's fine, and in 6 months or so, the tannins will be gone!!! So, thanks for your help guys, but I'll leave it be now...;):good:

Um...

Theres so much more inside soil than what is found naturally in lakes and rivers etc. Plus, an aquarium is a closed system/environment.

Instability will not help you out :/

Severe drops in pH is going to cause you some problems. Water changes will be a disaster on fish until you get it stable.

I will leave it in and just do water changes to keep the tannins stable, because i just realised, here's a question for all of you, where do the fish come from in the wild? Lakes, rivers, creeks... right? So if you think about it, all those bodies of water has tannins from dirt, branches, dead leaves etc. and that produces tannins naturally just like my new aquarium. So it is safe! And the tank is now officially cycled (so I'll be getting some more fish this weekend) and I can put any fish that thrives in ph's of 7.0-7.8! So, I think it's fine, and in 6 months or so, the tannins will be gone!!! So, thanks for your help guys, but I'll leave it be now...;):good:
I'm not anti-soil or tannins method BTW, just wondering; what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? And what filter are you using?

Has the pH stopped dropping? How big was the drop?

I'm not anti-soil or tannins method BTW, just wondering; what are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? And what filter are you using?

Has the pH stopped dropping? How big was the drop?
No drop. In fact, it always stayed low until I added some Bi-carb soda to the aquarium which raised the pH to the right way. Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 pH: 30ppm
I'm doing a water change tomorrow (50%)
And I have 2 internal filters going at a nano-tank size, but is doing a GREAT job keeping the water oxygenated and keeping it clean.

No drop. In fact, it always stayed low until I added some Bi-carb soda to the aquarium which raised the pH to the right way. Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 pH: 30ppm
I'm doing a water change tomorrow (50%)
And I have 2 internal filters going at a nano-tank size, but is doing a GREAT job keeping the water oxygenated and keeping it clean.
pH isn't measured in parts per million. It's a measurement of how basic or acidic the water is. The scale goes between 0-14, most tests will give you readings like 7,6 or 8,0 for example. Were you looking at gH or kH perhaps? Are you using dip strips to test the water?

pH isn't measured in parts per million. It's a measurement of how basic or acidic the water is. The scale goes between 0-14, most tests will give you readings like 7,6 or 8,0 for example. Were you looking at gH or kH perhaps? Are you using dip strips to test the water?
Nope, the pH is 7.6 and the bi-carb soda does the trick. I measure my water parameters with the Freshwater Master Test Kit, and according to the pH on that, it's 7.6 and has been hovering over that

Bicarb is OK in a tank when there are no fish, but not in a tank with fish. You will need to do a big water change to remove the bicarb before getting fish.
No freshwater fish have evolved in water containing sodium and it is not good for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back