Help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dominic Smith

Reaction score
Hi I’ve long time used this site to sort out any little problems I’ve had with my fish but need help with this one.
ive had my tropical tank for about 9 months now and everything’s been relatively okay - no fish deaths - but I’ve just had a look at my albino Cory cat fish and it appears to have a large white lump near it’s fin ( will attach photo) I’ve been looking around online at what this could be but I’m really stuck- none of my other fish appear to have anything wrong with them and looks too big to be ich. If anyone can help me identify it / treat it I’ll be v grateful !
Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Looks like a fungus that has attached to damaged tissue. Clean and healthy water with good nutrition will clear it up

What are your water parameters? (Specifically pH, GH, and KH)

It actually does look like 2 small ich spots...

It is not ich. It may be fungus but I doubt it from the appearance. More likely a growth and probably from inside. Clean water is the best remedy. Without knowing the exact issue, any additives (medications, etc) can make things much worse without any benefit.

How long has the fish been like that?

The area around the cream lumps looks infected (bacterial).
The cream lumps are interesting. the fish might have injured itself and they are scabs (fish equivalent).

Clean the filter and do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate for 1-2 weeks, and add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks.

If there's no improvement after a few days of salt, or if it gets worse, post some more pictures.

It is not ich. It may be fungus but I doubt it from the appearance. More likely a growth and probably from inside. Clean water is the best remedy. Without knowing the exact issue, any additives (medications, etc) can make things much worse without any benefit.
Thank you im going to do a full clean of the water every two days!

How long has the fish been like that?

The area around the cream lumps looks infected (bacterial).
The cream lumps are interesting. the fish might have injured itself and they are scabs (fish equivalent).

Clean the filter and do big daily water changes and gravel clean the substrate for 1-2 weeks, and add 1-2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in the tank for 2 weeks.

If there's no improvement after a few days of salt, or if it gets worse, post some more pictures.
Thank you very much! I'm going to buy new stones for tank and clean the water out every two days hopefully this will get the little guy back up on his feet- will post any updates if his condition deteriorates, thanks!

I don't have a pH tester personally the lady from the shop usually checks the water when bring her a sample but obvs ive not been in now for a good two months ://
Can you order one off of Amazon.com? The API Master test kit is pricey, but worth it in the long run. I strongly suggest you look into purchasing one.

You should be able to find the parameters for your source water from the water authority, check their website or call them directly. The GH, KH (Alkalinity) and pH are worth knowing. The GH and KH will not usually change much in the aquarium, so once you know these you shouldn't need to test them again. The ph is worth having a test for, as this can alert you to problems if it should suddenly change.

You should be able to find the parameters for your source water from the water authority, check their website or call them directly. The GH, KH (Alkalinity) and pH are worth knowing. The GH and KH will not usually change much in the aquarium, so once you know these you shouldn't need to test them again. The ph is worth having a test for, as this can alert you to problems if it should suddenly change.
I agree. You shouldn't need to buy a specific test kit for GH and KH. Just check with your local water providers.

The API master test kit provides everything else. (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, and high range pH.)

Thank you very much! I'm going to buy new stones for tank and clean the water out every two days hopefully this will get the little guy back up on his feet- will post any updates if his condition deteriorates, thanks!
By "new stones" do you mean decorative rocks, or substrate (gravel)?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back