Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vickmuffin

Reaction score
I just moved my cory into my new 29 gal tank. And I noticed his face seems off. I think its mouth rot so how do I treat it? Do I need to move him back into the old tank after I clean it?

Attachments

• 20191120_100752.jpg
    20191120_100752.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 131
It looks like the beginning of columnaris. You will need to treat all the fish that were in contact with the infected fish. Kanamycin or Seachem Kanaplex is very effective in treating it.

Will that be safe for shrimp? Do I need to quarantine the cory?

So update on my fish I got some more cories and moved him back to the main tank he was more perky and today he came out of hiding has been popping to the surface but his fins are all gone now. He seems ok but idk what to do water is good. Parameters are in the pic. I moved him to a breeder box in the main tank in case my other fish are picking on him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191219-142704_Aquarium Manager.jpg
    Screenshot_20191219-142704_Aquarium Manager.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 96
This is how he looks now

Attachments

• 20191219_135641.jpg
    20191219_135641.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 83
Naw poor little darling. I would be moving him out of that tank with the big rocks for substrate and putting a more suited substrate in another tank for him. There bristle are very sensitive and he would be doing more damage to his face trying to hover through the avalanche of rocks you have. I have found with my little guys a fine sand based substrate is great, they hover through it no worries. As for his infection that maybe a factor in this too that is more for the experts so hopefully they can help you hun

Just looking at that recent pic again, he looks like he has bare minimal skin left on he’s face. That has got to be painful for him. I would be very surprised if the experts on here don’t say to euthanise him to be honest but I hope there is a chance for him :sad:

Morning

just wondering how the little guy is doing this morning?

Hes still perky hes been isolated in my breeder box for awhile. Still pops up and seems ok mostly chilling seems a little sad that's hes not out with the other cories

The easies way would be to remove the substrate on one side of your tank, and replace it with sand. Alternatively (and a lot more work) is to completely change out everything in your tank (moving your fish to another tank if you have one) then replace the substrate with sand. It's a lot of work to do a total replacement but I've done it when my corycats were getting damaged by my clay substrate. They all recovered well and it didn't hurt any of the other fish - I kept the filter going to keep the water in good shape but I still had to add Tetra Safe during every water change for a couple of months. The water is now in good shape and the sand helps the cory's but the downside is that when you clean the water it tends to pick up a lot of extra sand so you have to be very careful to just try to remove the top layer of dirty water. My water stats are now absolutely perfect for the first time since I've had the tanks. Sand is the way to go. Your poor little fish should hopefully make it.

Most reactions

trending

Back