Help with treating my betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I agree I should have done more research first before getting one (or two in this case)... I will check how big I can get... Really a mistake in my part. Unfortunately I can only do the minimum which is 17gal, I can maybe try to push for 20gal, I know it sounds very irresponsible as a fish owner as I didn't expect to have overcrowding as the main issue due to false info from fish seller. I have very limited space at home and I thought a 3.2gal will be suitable for a betta and some other friends as mentioned by the seller... I shouldn't have trusted the guy 100% in the first place...
On this forum if you initially said you had a betta, 7 neon tetras and a tiger pleco I believe the forum would’ve said your tank is overstocked! However, understanding your own predicament with lack of space which is really important, I believe a 17-20 gallon would be a really welcome upgrade :). Consider it more as a main centre piece in your house potentially and add plants etc so it looks beautiful like a living art. Living in London I understand space isn’t always possible for a 40-100 gallon where it may be in some places where land is slightly cheaper/ more available. A 17-20 gallon with your stocking though won’t be perfect, with right maintenance treatment and care will still mean you and the fish will both be happy and less stressed

On this forum if you initially said you had a betta, 7 neon tetras and a tiger pleco I believe the forum would’ve said your tank is overstocked! However, understanding your own predicament with lack of space which is really important, I believe a 17-20 gallon would be a really welcome upgrade :). Consider it more as a main centre piece in your house potentially and add plants etc so it looks beautiful like a living art. Living in London I understand space isn’t always possible for a 40-100 gallon where it may be in some places where land is slightly cheaper/ more available. A 17-20 gallon with your stocking though won’t be perfect, with right maintenance treatment and care will still mean you and the fish will both be happy and less stressed

Yes, I agree!
Many people can't have a very large tank and although yes, a 40 gallon tank would be perfect, a 20 gallon tank will also do just fine. Of course, the fish won't be as happy as they would be in a 40g tank but they would still have a good life!

@JuiceBox52 @Willbacon23 @aqua.land thank you for all your replies! I will definitely look at upgrading my fish tank. Sadly the next time I am able to visit the fish store will be during the weekends, I will definitely let the seller know that I would like to rehome 1 pleco... I dont like saying it as "returning" because it's already as bad as it sounds, and as much as I would love to have all the fishes it seems like its dangerous to keep two plecos in the tank, and after doing some more research, two adult plecos in a tank can be quite competitive and territorial.. I actually did a little research on the tiger plecos and their natural behaviour before getting them and I did see some results about aggression between two but because I thought that the seller had more knowledge in fish keeping than me, I decided to follow his advise instead. Ugh it breaks my heart that my decisions and my obliviousness are making the fishes suffer, especially Sushi... I will get a much larger tank for them... As big as I can accommodate.. I wish I would say that 17gal is a 100% possibility but now just after checking the space that I have on the console I have a feeling that it might not be possible. I want to cry already... I don't want to be a pet fish killer ):

I have to see what I can get... maybe ask the seller for some options for 17gal tanks and prices.... and sizes as well so I can fully prepare when I make my way to the fish store.. As for now till the weekends I will do a daily water change just to keep the ammonia levels low... As well as nitrates and nitrites... Does that sound good enough?

@JuiceBox52 @Willbacon23 @aqua.land thank you for all your replies! I will definitely look at upgrading my fish tank. Sadly the next time I am able to visit the fish store will be during the weekends, I will definitely let the seller know that I would like to rehome 1 pleco... I dont like saying it as "returning" because it's already as bad as it sounds, and as much as I would love to have all the fishes it seems like its dangerous to keep two plecos in the tank, and after doing some more research, two adult plecos in a tank can be quite competitive and territorial.. I actually did a little research on the tiger plecos and their natural behaviour before getting them and I did see some results about aggression between two but because I thought that the seller had more knowledge in fish keeping than me, I decided to follow his advise instead. Ugh it breaks my heart that my decisions and my obliviousness are making the fishes suffer, especially Sushi... I will get a much larger tank for them... As big as I can accommodate.. I wish I would say that 17gal is a 100% possibility but now just after checking the space that I have on the console I have a feeling that it might not be possible. I want to cry already... I don't want to be a pet fish killer ):

I have to see what I can get... maybe ask the seller for some options for 17gal tanks and prices.... and sizes as well so I can fully prepare when I make my way to the fish store.. As for now till the weekends I will do a daily water change just to keep the ammonia levels low... As well as nitrates and nitrites... Does that sound good enough?
I'm so glad you care and want to fix it :)

Most of us have listened to pet store workers in the past and it turned out terribly, so dont feel too bad about it.

That sounds fine for now, if you have a bucket or clean plastic container you could move some of the fish into that to reduce aggression meanwhile

I'm so glad you care and want to fix it :)

Most of us have listened to pet store workers in the past and it turned out terribly, so dont feel too bad about it.

That sounds fine for now, if you have a bucket or clean plastic container you could move some of the fish into that to reduce aggression meanwhile

Of course I want to fix it! :) I don't see aquarium tanks just as decoration but as companions as and they really are very therapeutic and calming (when they're not stressed. I feel like I get stressed with them when they’re stressed haha) and they're living things too so I want them to live & have a good life as much as possible.

I feel bad because after reading the thing about aggression between plecos I didn't believe them and believed the fish seller instead. Yes he is very knowledgeable at his work but false info can be easily shared especially when there is money involved...

Thanks for all the info by the way! Not just from you but from the rest of you guys as well!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back