FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
This is the tank I have
55 Gals; 4 discus and 3 angelfish
55 Gals; 3 common pleco, 1 (L001) pleco and 3 black ghost knifefish and 3 kubotai loaches (cant find them on day time)
17 Gals; 2 rosy barbs 3 swordtail and 1 mollies and a ram cichlid
20 Gals; 1 oranda and red cap goldfish
5 Gals betta and 6 kuhli loaches tank
3 Gals betta and nerites tank
I know a lot of these are overstocking can you guys help me @Colin_T @Byron

I would suggest getting a larger tank for your black ghosts. I love these fish, they are my dream fish but a 55g is simply not big enough for them or I would have gotten one a long time ago! Good luck :)

I don't know what the tank dimensions are. In Australia we sell aquariums by the foot, eg: 2ft tank, 3ft tank, 4 ft tank, etc.

Discus and angelfish need a tank that is at least 4 foot long.

3 x common Hypostomus plecostomus catfish are going to need a huge tank, at least 6 foot long.

All barbs (including rosy barbs) need to be kept in groups of 6 or more.
Barbs and rams come from soft water (GH below 150ppm).
Mollies and swordtails come from harder water (GH above 200ppm for swordtails and above 250ppm for mollies).

Fantail goldfish should have a tank that is at least 3 and preferably 4 foot long or bigger.

Betta and Khulis should be fine.
The Betta in the 3 gallon would probably be a bit happier in a slightly bigger tank but as long as the water is good, he should be fine.

I wouldnt keep angels and discus together, angels are a little more fiesty and discus are calm and timid angels will out compete them for food and cause the discus stress. Angles and discus also belong in groups of at least six and 55 gallons is too small for a group of 6 of each. Overstocking and unsuitable tankmates lead to stress and stress to death and discus are notoriously sensitive fish.

I agree with all above posts.

First thing I'd suggest is to re home the common plecos as well as the black ghost knife fish. These fish get far too big for any tank you have. You need at least a 6ft 125 or larger for these fish.

I'd also suggest that if you get larger tanks, to replace ones that you have. While having multiple tanks is great, it is a lot of work and I'd suggest fixing what you have going on before you add anything else.

Very importantly, what is your water quality looking like? What is your hardness? I see lots of hard/soft water mixtures going on some of which are very sensitive to specific hardness. Some fish will be fine in any hardness for the most part, but to name a few..... mollies, swordtails, discus, and rams all require specific hardness or their life will be short lived.

I agree on the black ghost knife fish. These things can get up to 20 inches long!

The 10g betta and Kuhlii loach tank is incorrect as well. I suggest upgrading them to a 20g long. If you have room of corse. ;)

I'd also suggest creating a proper community tank with the 55 gallon with the fish from your 17 gallon tank. Rehome fish that do not fit your hardness.

This will give you room to stock correctly with proper groups and compatible fish. A 55 gallon tank makes an excellent community tank. You have many options.... but the big fish gotta go first.

How to softened or hardened the water though?

How to softened or hardened the water though?
What is your hardness? Knowing is step one. Additives are dangerous as it will create swings. You are best stocking in accordance to your water supply.

If you have hard water, keeping sensitive fish like discus or rams will be difficult to keep the fish alive and ultimately not worth even trying for the average fish keeper.

The water hardness (expressed as GH), carbonate hardness (KH or Alkalinity) and pH are related, closely. Fish have preferences, and some fish absolutely must have harder water than other fish, and vice versa, while some species do quite well sort of in the middle. But the actual number for the GH especially (this is the "driving force" so to speak) of your source water is where you/we start. You cannot even begin to consider hardening or softening thee water until you know the GH, KH and pH of the source water. And of these, KH is not so important generally but this too depends upon the GH and pH.

Most reactions

trending

Back