Help with sexing Electric Blues

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gls

Reaction score
Hi

Hope I’ve posted this in the right place but could anyone please offer some advice on the sex of these two electric blue rams?

Thanks

Attachments

• B8BBFBC5-11D6-49FA-B41D-9D47737C9696.png
    B8BBFBC5-11D6-49FA-B41D-9D47737C9696.png
    581.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 4E268488-D84C-482A-BC44-8F1532FD2EB7.png
    4E268488-D84C-482A-BC44-8F1532FD2EB7.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
You've got 2 females!!
Edit- now that I'm looking more carefully, the first one could be male.... Do you have another pic with it's fins more open? It's body looks like male, but it's fins like female... most probabaly a female, thought

You've got 2 females!!
Edit- now that I'm looking more carefully, the first one could be male.... Do you have another pic with it's fins more open? It's body looks like male, but it's fins like female... most probabaly a female, thought
Thanks for your response! Is this any clearer? I’ve also added one of both together?

Attachments

• 9CFF4B40-E5A3-4D39-A958-A23F45F8335A.jpeg
    9CFF4B40-E5A3-4D39-A958-A23F45F8335A.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 68
  • E03D6962-B96A-41C7-86B5-8D0ED6BCEEAB.jpeg
    E03D6962-B96A-41C7-86B5-8D0ED6BCEEAB.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 71
Waaay better!! I'm 99% sure they're both females now;)

Reactions: gls
Waaay better!! I'm 99% sure they're both females now;)
Thanks. One of them is chasing the other one constantly so I’d assumed I ended up with two males! Not sure if that is common in a female to female pairing or not and if I should look to re-home one of them?

Oh well, does the chased fish look stressed? If not, then let them be! They look really healthy from the pics! And also, there's always the chance that I'm wrong, especialy with the fish in the second pic. It could be male, and the aggression being caused from them mating!! Anyways, if thats the case, you'll see it in some weeks...!

Hi

Hope I’ve posted this in the right place but could anyone please offer some advice on the sex of these two electric blue rams?

Thanks
They look a little young to sex confidently but my gut right now would say they are both female.

What are your water parameters and temperature?

Parameters are:
Temp: 27c
PH: 7
KH: 3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: less than 5
Your parameters are more than great! I'm surre you must be a great fish parent;)

Reactions: gls
I think the left-hand fish in the first post and the left-hand fish in the second photo of the next post could be male. Is this the fish doing the chasing?

I think the left-hand fish in the first post and the left-hand fish in the second photo of the next post could be male. Is this the fish doing the chasing?
Thanks for your input. Yes, that is the chaser.

It’s also the same fish in the first photo of the second post.

If you look where the vent is you will notice it is slightly concaved indicating male, the other fish is straight or ever so slightly convex which indicates female. I just ignore fins and everything else when sexing young cichlids, and just look at the body line around the vent.

I got a bit lost- so the male is the one I was not relly sure about, or the other?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back