Help with pond stocking?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm cleaning up my grandpa's pond as a side project to get myself out of the house during quarantine. Once it's cleaned up we are considering stocking it, but I'd like to find what will work there before proposing anything to him. Separated list for easier read.

-pond is not circular. It has 5 tiers with shallow waterfalls between each (a goldfish would have to jump to get over but like a pygmy cory would probably get pulled).
-Top two tiers have rounded basins but the rest are curved streams about a foot to two feet across
-We live in Iowa with hot summers and freezing winters. We'd need something that could survive a freeze (top tier is knee deep so that would keep them safe)
-koi fish might not be comfortable in that size, to give a rough idea, so ideally something smaller.
-natural population includes frogs and tiny snails, possibly red painted turtles? We find them dried out around his house every so often but he backs a lake full of them

We are inside taking a break right now, but if pictures of the pond would help I can provide. We need fish that can survive the temps while being small enough to fit but large enough it won't go over the falls. I'll check parameters soon to see which fish would match

I usually dislike goldfish because of their size (and the shape of most fancies isn't interesting to me) but I'm considering shubunkins for this, with possibly another species to cohabitate. Thoughts?

Also this is the pond, my mom estimates it to be at least a thousand gallons

Attachments

• 20200627_181050.jpg
    20200627_181050.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 127
Thank you!! It was hand built by my family a long time ago, and me and my cousins grew up playing in it. A lot of sentimental value there. I was sad to see it filled with trash and algae :(

On a more hopeful note I'm going to propose stocking it with fish to my grandpa and see if he'll be okay with it! If any of you know anything about picking filters for goldfish please share!!

White clouds might be able to go into the pond it just depends on how hot or cold it gets where you live.

Most reactions

Back