Pond for common goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two common goldfish in a 5 gallon, and I plan to upgrade to a 300-gallon stock pond when I can afford it. However, my parents would also like to put the turtles in the pond as well. I don't want the turtles to potentially harm the goldfish. So, I can either try to find a way to divide the pond so they can't hurt each other, buy two stock ponds, or have one be an in the ground pond. Also, is there any way to keep the pond warm during winter, or do I have to bring them inside for that, meaning I couldn't use their current tanks for anything else.

The fish and turtles need their own ponds and should not be kept together. Buy two ponds, one for the turtles and one for the fish.

Goldfish don't need warm water. As long as the water doesn't freeze solid, they will be fine with a thin layer of ice on the surface.

Hello Violet. Are you living in a warm part of the country? Because if you are, I think turtles are a great addition to an outdoor pond. Now, if the turtles are a smaller variety, they'd be like keeping snails in an aquarium. They're great cleaners. They'll eat a little bit of dead plant and animal matter. They're not quick enough to attack and kill a healthy fish, so if you don't allow them to overpopulate your pond, I think they'd be awesome. I'd have to agree with your parents on this one. However, I'm just offering one reporter's opinion.

The fish and turtles need their own ponds and should not be kept together. Buy two ponds, one for the turtles and one for the fish.

Goldfish don't need warm water. As long as the water doesn't freeze solid, they will be fine with a thin layer of ice on the surface.
So I can keep the goldfish outside during winter and it should be fine? But the turtles would need to be brought in?

Hello Violet. Are you living in a warm part of the country? Because if you are, I think turtles are a great addition to an outdoor pond. Now, if the turtles are a smaller variety, they'd be like keeping snails in an aquarium. They're great cleaners. They'll eat a little bit of dead plant and animal matter. They're not quick enough to attack and kill a healthy fish, so if you don't allow them to overpopulate your pond, I think they'd be awesome. I'd have to agree with your parents on this one. However, I'm just offering one reporter's opinion.

I live in the south where it only snows about once a year. The turtles are sliders. The goldfish are about 6 inches, so may be too big for the turtles to eat, but the turtles have been fed live fish before.

Hello again. Sliders are a good choice for a pond. They're not a large species, but will clean up any dead fish. They're not fast enough to be threat to a healthy Goldfish.

The Twitch channel named "turtlesandchill" have some pretty big goldfish and koi they keep with two turtles (Red Eared Slider & Pink Bellied Side Neck). They been streaming for years. The turtles have out of the water platforms they can retire to as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back