Help with planted/silent cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sisyphus

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to get the fishless cycle right on a new tank, but I've run in to one or two problems.

I'm using the fish food method as a source of ammonia, but I'm five days in and seeing relatively low levels of ammonia (0.25ppm rising to 0.5ppm today). I've been testing daily and adding an increasing amount of food because it's well below the 3ppm that I've read's recommended.

Anyone able to steer me in the right direction? Should I just keep adding food until I reach the threshold? I'm a little wary that there's quite a lot sitting at the bottom of the tank already. Perhaps it just takes time for the food to decay and provide a source of ammonia? Maybe I should just get some ammonia to jumpstart the process?

I have a planted tank that's been up-and-running a few weeks (most of that time was spent reading up on the nitrogen cycle before getting stuck in), could that make a difference?

If I can provide further information, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Last edited:
I would buy ammonia and use that instead, that way you know exactly how much you are adding

That is a good shout, thanks. Don't particularly want to put my hand in my pocket but, as you say, it's probably worth it for the sake of accuracy. Only really went with fish food because I had it to hand. I'll mark the thread as solved.

You have a planted tank so you are basically doing a planted/silent cycle instead of a fishless cycle. Plants will absorb the ammonia before it can be turned to nitrites. Depending on what plants you have you could simply let your plants grow a little and add some fish. I do plant/silent cycles on all my tanks.

You have a planted tank so you are basically doing a planted/silent cycle instead of a fishless cycle. Plants will absorb the ammonia before it can be turned to nitrites. Depending on what plants you have you could simply let your plants grow a little and add some fish. I do plant/silent cycles on all my tanks.

Thanks, I thought that may have something to do with it. I've not really come across the planted/silent cycle before, so I'll get reading!

Thanks, I thought that may have something to do with it. I've not really come across the planted/silent cycle before, so I'll get reading!
Good plants to have are fast growing floating plants which absorb ammonia at a higher rate. Anacharis, hornwort, moneywort and water sprite are some of these that you can also "plant" in the gravel. Others that just float are salvinia, frog bite and water lettuce. Plants like ferns are slow growing so they absorb ammonia at a much lower rate. If you let the plants float they absorb at an even higher rate since it is easier for them to exchange gases (co2 and Oxygen)

That's a great help, thanks. If you don't mind me asking: how do you know when a planted tank's ready for fish in that case? Do I wait simply wait for more plant growth and test to ensure ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate's not too high?

Planted/silent cycling is not truly cycling but getting enough plants in the tank to absorb the ammonia produced by the fish and their waste. It is a natural way to run your tank sort of like the circle of life. Your fish feed the plants and they clean the water and add oxygen for the fish which produce CO2 for the plants.

That's a great help, thanks. If you don't mind me asking: how do you know when a planted tank's ready for fish in that case? Do I wait simply wait for more plant growth and test to ensure ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrate's not too high?
You look for growth in your plants. I usually wait about two weeks after adding plants and then add a shoal of fish 5-6 tetras. I like small fish so I add several. Depending on the size and bioload of the fish you may add one, a few or several. I then test the water for ammonia and if the reading are 0 I add another shoal of fish the next week and test again a few days later.

You can go faster but I try and be safe with the number of fish I add. I have done this with 3 tanks now. My 1st tanks was this 55 gallon tetra tank which has anacharis both planted as a forest and floating along with various ferns and some sword plants.

Attachments

• GEDC1296.JPG
    GEDC1296.JPG
    882.8 KB · Views: 74
That's brilliant, thanks, thought I was missing something as it wasn't quite all adding up and I've a much clearer idea now. I've already seen relatively substantial plant growth, so I guess the next steps are getting rid of all that decaying food, perhaps a water change, and making sure my water parameters are bang on. Yes, I'm erring on the side of caution, especially as a beginner, so, as you suggest, I will likely start with six tetras before looking to add any more.

Wow!: that's some set up you have there. I can feel myself getting hooked, for want of a better word, to fishkeeping--it's such a wonderful hobby. I'm already craving a second tank and I haven't any fish in the first yet!

If your going with tetra make sure you have soft water also avoid ember, neon and cardinal tetras until your tank is well established which can take 6 months or more. They can be sensitive to changes in the water chemistry. I have had good luck with red eye and glow light tetra. I made the mistake of adding neon and ember early and lost many before my tank settled down. I now have neon and ember along with glow light and red eyed tetra in my tank.

Thanks, I'm leaning towards silver tips, which, from what I've read so far, are relatively hardy tetras. I believe most of my water parameters are within the advised range, but I will triple check and read more about the species. They're pretty active/boisterous fish and my tank's relatively small, so I'm going to stick to a single species. I've also heard that it's best to keep a ratio of 2:1, female to male.

Anything else that jumps out to be aware of? Thanks again, it's really handy to be able to identify mistakes before I make them and I want to do the best I can.

With intending just the one species of fish, you will need to add them all at the same time. You need to make sure you have lots of lush plant growth before getting them.

Unfortunately, Welsh Water don't give hardness in numbers. 40 years ago I lived in Cardiff Caerdydd and Welsh Water say my old address is 'slightly hard', but so does my current water company and I know that I my water at 5 dH is considered soft in fish keeping terms. However, assuming both water companies use the same scale, yours should be good for silver tips.

Thanks, I had read that that may be the case. Out of interest: is it prevent them from sorting out the pecking order twice? I will ensure that there's plenty of plant growth beforehand. Welsh Water Dŵr Cymru :) says my water's 'moderately soft', which chimes with my test results. Is that OK?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back