Help With Pakistani/yoyo Loach Nose Gone Red/pink

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ilikefishes

Reaction score
Not sure whether it has always been red/pink but only just noticed it today. He looks ok but has recently been lying in the vallis I have in the tank - like holding himself in between the reeds nearly vertically sometimes and also at the top of the corner Juwel filter housing this morning. Water tests are:

Ammonia 0-0.25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
Temp is about 25
Didn't have time to test ph but was ok 3 days ago - 7.4

My tank is Juwel Vision 180:
2 Pakistani loaches
2 Angelicus loaches
2 Zebra loaches
2 Upside down catfish
1 Blue Gourami
1 Black Mollie
1 Platy

Tank stats seem ok the slight ammonia reading might just be due to lighting try it again maybe see what you think? With regards to the loach though what type of substrate do you have loaches have barbels around their mouth and in gravel substrates even if its smooth gravel it can damage them because they like to dig - though if it is sand it might have bashed its face on something else in the tank like wood rocks or even the tank walls and also loaches lying in weird places is quite normal most of the time they are just getting comfy lol :). Also with the pink does it look like its grazed or cut? You might want to keep an eye on it for infections but it should be ok in good water. Wills

Hi and thanks. Yes I have got sand at the bottom - think it probably bumped itself on some bogwood but will keep any eye on it to check it doesn't get worse.

thats good then :good:

ammonia should be 0, so just do a little water change if you weant to try and get it to 0; some of my dads old fishes used to do this though :wub:

Hi there,

Am I correct that this is a previously owned tank that you got and the fish came along with it?

If so, how long have you had it set up since the transfer?

What have you done about water changes and filter cleanings since you got it?

What type of kit are you using for those numbers?

~~waterdrop~~

Hi, yeah I got the tank Thursday last week. It was already setup at the persons house with the fish included. It was very close to my house so took the everything with me including sand, rocks, wood, filter with sponges, and also the 75% of the water (so had to top up with some dechlorinated tap water when back at mine). Setup for a week now and no problems. It also came with 2 clown loaches and a golden algae eater which I took to a lfs the other day. Did a 20% water change 3 days ago but haven't done anything with the filter yet. Have got the API master kit for the tests. Re: the filter do I need to rinse the sponge in tank water - 1 at a time, and if so how often? Thanks for the help everyone.

Wow, you're doing everything right. Very rare. You must have some experience. Excellent to quickly re-home some. Good that you're already using the liquid kit.

Its also good that your initial water changes have been small. When beginning with an old tank you have to guard against "Old Tank Syndrome" where water has not been changed and trace metals and things have built up. Its possible that a very large change would shock the fish.

I would continue with more frequent smaller changes and observe the fish closely for any signs of stress. I'd try hard to do good gravel cleans but it will be hard in short small changes. It stress doesn't seem to be a problem, I'd very, very gradually increase the percentages of the water changes and reduce the frequency, increasing the gravel-cleaning in the process. I'd have a notebook and keep notes to make it gradual and controlled, maybe even a paper ruler on tank edge for gradually increasing water change amounts. I'd test at least daily and make line entries of that in notebook.

Review and discuss the stocking and plans with the members here, that part will be more entertaining.

~~waterdrop~~

The person I bought from was very helpful and my aunties kept tropical fish for quite a while so ive had some help. It was also a week or 2 before the right tank came up for sale so I had some time to research these things before. Will keep doing small changes at the moment and build it up as I go along, and keep checking the water - thanks.

Have posted about my stocking plans the other day but no replies yet :( - not hinting at anything though! :D

If you can still talk to the person you bought the tank from you may be able to get a feel for what their habit was about gravel cleaning and water changes. You may be able to rule out the likelihood of old tank syndrome and then be able to go with larger water changes... just a thought since it sounds like the person was nice.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi guys just got home and the same guy has a white area on top of his red nose. Please see this pic and let me know what to do! Is also acting a bit odd - he was swimming vertically at the surface in the corner of the tank for 5 mins after I got here and don't know how long before - like swimming pretty fast not just suspending himself there. When I went over he swam back to the bottom and just lay on some wood. Normally he would swim away when I look right up against the tank but he just sits there staring back.

side.jpg

front.jpg

face.jpg

Sorry... Edited as my laptop decided not to show me the first posts...just the pictures!!
Sorry

Post up a short note in the emergencies section and ask Wilder to come have a look at these pictures. She might know what to do.

~~waterdrop~~

Hi have posted in emergencies so hopefully will hear from someone soon! Also I put that the ammonia was 0.25 but tested the tapwater today and it is the same colour (very very light lime green/yellow) so it should be ok. The api test says 0 should be yellow but both tests it definately looked a little green, more like the 0.25 colour.

Keep up the small water changes as we still don't know if there might be old tank syndrome. Try to talk to the previous owner about frequency of water changes (I know, hard subject to get an honest answer for!)

-wd-

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back