Help With Medication

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SteelerLuke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I posted on my other thread that my pregnant guppy had died with what looked like some form of 'mouth rot' & some of my other guppies are showing signs of disease.

I currently have 4 guppies quarantined, 3 of them look like they have some sort of 'body rot' & my other guppy looks like it has mouth rot - basically it is not opening it's mouth & is not eating. None of the guppies are acting out of the ordinary despite their symptoms, the males are still chasing the females & 3 of them are still eating.

I've added some 'Methylene Blue' to both my main tank & my hospital tank. I'm now worried that this has affected my Apple Snails because their shells are looking a bit rough & they look like they are turning a bit brown.

I'm pretty hopeless at medicine & whatnot so I am wondering if someone can advice me on a good one to buy for the symptoms my fish currently have & a selection of different medicines for future reference.

Also, I haven't properly cycled my tank because I knew nothing about it until I started reading this forum. Without going into too much details I gave my tank a good clean but there should still be some media from before left over somewhere in there. I've already ordered a tester kit & I should be getting this on Monday & I'll post my results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Luke

When you cleaned your tank, do you mean you literally cleaned the ornaments and glass if so what with?

Yes I took all ornaments out & they were rinsed with hot water. The same for my filter.

My gravel was just stirred to get all the crap in the water so I could scoop it out with a bucket but I didn't actually take the gravel out & clean it.

The insides of my tank had a touch of algae so I wiped these down with a sponge/scourer & I'm now adding drops of King British Algicide on a daily basis to stop another algae outburst.

I also introduce drops of King British Safe Water once a week.

I hope this answers your question :)

Thats ok, it has been known for people to use household bleech. Just a thought.

Thanks D1s, not used any sort of household chemicals

Hi, I should get your tank cycled first then maybe get hold of some aSHa 2000 a good allround antibacterial, anti fungal med that is given over 3 days and gets rid of most problems. Then just carry on with weekly water changes of 25%. If you continue having problems try daily water changes of 10% for a week as this sometimes irons out problems with a new tank. Hope this helps.

Thanks glolite, I'll certainly be having a look at that.

Had 4 more guppies die over the weekend. All my other species are absolutely fine, I'm really losing my love for guppies.

At the moment I'm after a couple of things, I'll be buying them on Saturday so if anyone can give me any recommendations then that would be great otherwise I'll be going to the fish store & asking the guy there (I'd rather take the advice off here) ... :good:

Firstly I'm after a dechlorinator. I've seen API Stress Coat, Interpet Bioactive Tap Safe, Tetra Aquasafe & Nutrafin AquaPlus all banded about on this forum but which one is the best to get? Do they all do the same thing?

Secondly I'm after a generally good all round medicine. I already have some methylene blue but that's almost ran out so I'm going to get some more of that, is there anything else anyone can recommend getting? I've had a recommendation of aSHa 2000 above.

Thanks in advice for any help, it's really appreciated! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back