Help! With Light Bulbs!

Liv15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I've recently bought a Juwel Rio 125 off of someone second hand, and it needed new bulbs. So I purchased some T5 HiLite 28 Watt 590mm bulbs because on Juwel's website (and on the actual bulb packaging) it says that these fit Rio 125. Anyway, I get them out and they are too small! They are the correct length but diameter is tiny compared to the bulbs that came with the tank (that I need to replace). I don't know how old this tank is but I'm guessing that it takes different bulbs because it's an older tank?

Can someone please please help me?

Hiya, I can help you. You need to take them back and ask to swap them for T8 tubes not T5. Only the recent Rio's have T5 tubes, all the older models (such as my own Rio 240) run on T8's

If you get one for daylight and one for plant growth and you should get a nice looking natural light
smile.png

I think they changed over to T5 about 2 years ago so it is fairly recent. T8's are still available in the U.K. In fact in my area it's easier to get hold of T8's than it is T5's. The aquatic stores havn't got caught up yet in my area. The T8's are also a lot cheaper as you can get generic one's that are half the price of Juwel's own brand - they work just as well too. All my tanks have had Aqua-glo tubes when they've needed to be replaced

Thanks everyone, I've messaged the seller (I bought them off eBay) and just waiting for a reply. Uhh I'm so annoyed, now I'll have to pay for return postage. Does anyone know If the interpet T8 600mm will fit? Because I think the Rio bulbs are measured up to where the pins start so I wondered if the interpet ones just measured the whole length of the bulb, including the pins? I hope that made sense!

it made sense - kind of! I used Aqua-glo tubes on my Juwel Rekord 800, my Juwel Rio 180 and now my 240. Aqua-glo are a generic brand and they fit fine - and worked fine and all 3 tanks. 

Are you able to remove the blown tube and take it to an aquarium store and get them to help you? It's what I did and they sorted me out no probs :)

I'll take the tube in today. This is all annoying cause I've had plants in there like a week with no light and they're already not doing well :/

the plants will come back, don't worry too much :)

So I bought one of the interpet bulbs and I was right, it fits! The tank is so much brighter and is only going to better when I add a second bulb :) I sorted out the plants, breaking off all of the dead bits, I just hope they will come back, they were in pretty bad shape :/

they should recover in time. Add a good quality fert and some liquid Co2 and they'll be growing in no time

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back