Help With Hang On Filter

lym

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
431
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
England
I got a B-Style Clear Seal Aquarium today, it came with a hang on filter. I've only had a Fluval 4 plus before this so the hang on filter is new to me. It says the filter media needs to be changed every 4-6 months. But I've no idea where to get replacements from, can anyone provide any UK online websites that sell them? Or even a link to them on ebay?

Thanks!
 
All it says is Clear Seal External Hang on Filter 680 L/H. I can take a picture if it if that's of any help?
 
Here's some pictures, even had a look look at the filter and it says nothing on there either.

260207001.jpg


260207002.jpg


260207003.jpg


260207004.jpg
 
What you have there is referred to as a 3 stage filter, mechanical, biological and chemial. The mechanical element is the gauzy type pad it filters out particulate matter, the biological is the one with all the stubby fingers where benifical bacteria is supposed to colonize the chemical is the one with the activated carbon. The carbon will only be effective for about two weeks, you will have to wash the mechanical element as it become plugged you will know this by the amount of bypass you are getting, the biological should never have to be replaced you might need to remove excessive growth from time to time but the less you fool with it the better. Do a web search anyone producing such a filter wants to do repeat business in replacment media. If you have a properly stocked tank and are doing frequent water changes the carbon element is not necessary. It looks like a pretty good filter to me. Scott try clearseal.com
 
What you have there is referred to as a 3 stage filter, mechanical, biological and chemial. The mechanical element is the gauzy type pad it filters out particulate matter, the biological is the one with all the stubby fingers where benifical bacteria is supposed to colonize the chemical is the one with the activated carbon. The carbon will only be effective for about two weeks, you will have to wash the mechanical element as it become plugged you will know this by the amount of bypass you are getting, the biological should never have to be replaced you might need to remove excessive growth from time to time but the less you fool with it the better. Do a web search anyone producing such a filter wants to do repeat business in replacment media. If you have a properly stocked tank and are doing frequent water changes the carbon element is not necessary. It looks like a pretty good filter to me. Scott try clearseal.com

Thanks for the explanation it was very helpful! :good: so is the carbon the one that I'm holding in the last two pictures?

I've tried their website but they don't even have the filter on there and there doesn't seem to be any way of contacting them either.
 
Yes it is, and now that I look at it again I see that it is the reverse of the mechanical. So heres the deal, the carbon will adsorb contaminants until it can adsorb no more. Some people will tell you that once contaminated the carbon will begin to let the contaminates back into the water Not True, the carbon will release the contaminants only when exposed to EXTREME heat. So either replace this piece every couple weeks if you feel you need the carbon to get the nasties out of your tank or keep it and wash it when it restricts water flow. Scott
 
Yes it is, and now that I look at it again I see that it is the reverse of the mechanical. So heres the deal, the carbon will adsorb contaminants until it can adsorb no more. Some people will tell you that once contaminated the carbon will begin to let the contaminates back into the water Not True, the carbon will release the contaminants only when exposed to EXTREME heat. So either replace this piece every couple weeks if you feel you need the carbon to get the nasties out of your tank or keep it and wash it when it restricts water flow. Scott

Ok thanks! :) All I need to do now is find somewhere that sells them...lol.
 
I'd try an lfs first. if you can't find one there then I'd consider making my own. you should be able to get filter floss from your lfs. (lfs=local fish store)
 
I'd try an lfs first. if you can't find one there then I'd consider making my own. you should be able to get filter floss from your lfs. (lfs=local fish store)

I've no idea how to make my own, I'll probably just end up buying a new filter.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top