Help with Beta fish, URGENT

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

kateh

Reaction score
Hi all, Ik this is for tropical fish but I really need help, my beta fish has been laying at the bottom of the tank for 4 days not moving or eating, and when I try to like get him to move, he pops up, swims away and floats back down, also his fins are kinda slicked back. I did a 90% water change yesterday but nothing has changed since. He is in a small 7 gallon tank, I also washed all the pebbles just in case there was some bacteria there but is there anything I can do to help and return him to his former happy colorful self? Thanks so much

Last edited:
Betta are tropical fish, they like it pretty warm, say 78-70 degrees. How warm is the tank?
If you siphoned the gravel, that is good but if you took it out and washed it you may have lost some beneficial bacteria. Is the tank cycled? What is your maintenance regime?

Betta are tropical fish, they like it pretty warm, say 78-70 degrees. How warm is the tank?
If you siphoned the gravel, that is good but if you took it out and washed it you may have lost some beneficial bacteria. Is the tank cycled? What is your maintenance regime?

I took the gravel out and washed it, to be honest Iā€™m new with taking care of fish so not sure how Iā€™m doing, I cycle the tank for 1 day out of every 4 or so, per the instructions the tank set arrived with, i do 90% water change every month and a 10-20% water change as needed. I will take any advice I just need help saving my fish, thanks for taking time to respond, also my water temp rests at like 78-79 a little on the hotter side, also if this is any help all my plants I put in there die, Idk if that even matters but

I took the gravel out and washed it, to be honest Iā€™m new with taking care of fish so not sure how Iā€™m doing, I cycle the tank for 1 day out of every 4 or so, per the instructions the tank set arrived with, i do 90% water change every month and a 10-20% water change as needed. I will take any advice I just need help saving my fish, thanks for taking time

I cycle the tank for 1 day out of every 4
Do you mean you turn the filter on for 1 day in every 4?

In fish keeping cycling means growing beneficial bacteria, but i don't think you are referring to this when you say 'cycle the tank'.

What are the ammonia and nitrite levels in the water?

I took the gravel out and washed it, to be honest Iā€™m new with taking care of fish so not sure how Iā€™m doing, I cycle the tank for 1 day out of every 4 or so, per the instructions the tank set arrived with, i do 90% water change every month and a 10-20% water change as needed. I will take any advice I just need help saving my fish, thanks for taking time
The tank isn't cycled, the fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning. Your link leads to Walmart's site

At any rate, read and understand this completely, and post back with any questions you may have:

You will need a liquid test kit: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

You will also need a GOOD water conditioner, such as Seachem prime or API Tap Water Conditioner

Do you mean you turn the filter on for 1 day in every 4?

In fish keeping cycling means growing beneficial bacteria, but i don't think you are referring to this when you say 'cycle the tank'.

What are the ammonia and nitrite levels in the water?
Hi sorry I didnā€™t realize what cycling the tank meant, I do run the filter 1 out of every 4 days, and not sure ab the amoninia nitrate levels

Hi sorry I didnā€™t realize what cycling the tank meant, I do run the filter 1 out of every 4 days, and not sure ab the amoninia nitrate levels
Get the liquid test kit that I linked above ASAP

Ok, to make it simple for new people, like I was:

Ammonia is excreted by fish in the form of poop. It is toxic to fish, but in a cycled tank, bacteria all over the tank(eg. filter, filter media, plants, substrate, gravel etc.) break up the ammonia into nitrite, which is also toxic. However, there are also other bacteria that can break up nitrite into nitrates, which is less toxic, and is taken out of the water when you water change, but some plants also take that out of the water, like floating plants(duckweed, frog bit, anacharis etc.)

However, in an uncycled tank, there is no beneficial bacteria to speak of. You can add some by buying bacteria in a bottle. This basically gives your tank an injection of the good bacteria.

There are 2 types of cycling: fish in and fishless cycling. Fish in cycling is straightforward - the fish are in and you test the water every day to see whether there is too much ammonia/nitrite. Whenever there is more than 0 of either, you water change. You know when a tank is cycled in a fish-in cycling when ammonia and nitrite read 0 for a week straight. The nitrates you don't really worry about.

There's also oxygenation. Oxygen must be in the water for fish to survive, although some fish (including bettas) can gulp air from the surface. In order to oxygenate, you have to either (1) create water movement every 10 minutes or so, (2) have lots of live plants in the tank (this is how filterless tanks work), (3) have the filter running 24/7 (this should always be happening unless you're doing a filterless tank, which has tons of plants)

You have to turn the filter on always if you want your fish to survive.

Ok, to make it simple for new people, like I was:

Ammonia is excreted by fish in the form of poop. It is toxic to fish, but in a cycled tank, bacteria all over the tank(eg. filter, filter media, plants, substrate, gravel etc.) break up the ammonia into nitrite, which is also toxic. However, there are also other bacteria that can break up nitrite into nitrates, which is less toxic, and is taken out of the water when you water change, but some plants also take that out of the water, like floating plants(duckweed, frog bit, anacharis etc.)

However, in an uncycled tank, there is no beneficial bacteria to speak of. You can add some by buying bacteria in a bottle. This basically gives your tank an injection of the good bacteria.

There are 2 types of cycling: fish in and fishless cycling. Fish in cycling is straightforward - the fish are in and you test the water every day to see whether there is too much ammonia/nitrite. Whenever there is more than 0 of either, you water change. You know when a tank is cycled in a fish-in cycling when ammonia and nitrite read 0 for a week straight. The nitrates you don't really worry about.

There's also oxygenation. Oxygen must be in the water for fish to survive, although some fish (including bettas) can gulp air from the surface. In order to oxygenate, you have to either (1) create water movement every 10 minutes or so, (2) have lots of live plants in the tank (this is how filterless tanks work), (3) have the filter running 24/7 (this should always be happening unless you're doing a filterless tank, which has tons of plants)

You have to turn the filter on always if you want your fish to survive.
Hi this was so helpful thank you, I will start the filter now is there anything else I can or should do? Iā€™ll send a pic in a few hours as Iā€™m not currently home but I am also gonna pick up a water test kit. Is there any thing else I should do to save my fish?

Last edited:
Do a large water change when you get home, with a GOOD quality water conditioner as I mentioned above...match the new water to the tank water temp, as best you can...NEVER turn off your filter, except while doing water changes...and be sure to read the link above about fish-in cycling

Do a large water change when you get home, with a GOOD quality water conditioner as I mentioned above...match the new water to the tank water temp, as best you can...NEVER turn off your filter, except while doing water changes...and be sure to read the link above about fish-in cycling
Ok will do, what percentage of water do I change out? Also ty a lot for the help Iā€™m a total newbie with this stuff and yea

No cycling šŸ„ŗšŸ˜­
Please post clear pictures of your fish and tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back