Help With Algae Required

yep, flourish is good.

It is Staghorn algae.

Cool I can get flourish for about £11 for 500ml. Would this be same dosage as above as it is more concentrated?

Mike

P.S Vid is currently uploading.
 
"5ml per 250litres once or twice per week",


i would add 2ml x3 per week. This is what i do but with EI:

sunday - water change & dose
Mon - rest
Tues - Dose
Wed - rest
Thurs - Dose
Fri - rest
Sat - rest
 
"5ml per 250litres once or twice per week",


i would add 2ml x3 per week. This is what i do but with EI:

sunday - water change & dose
Mon - rest
Tues - Dose
Wed - rest
Thurs - Dose
Fri - rest
Sat - rest

So dose for just over 250L over the week even though my tank is only 125L?

Mike

P.S Bloody video is taking AAAAAGGGGGEEEEEESSSSSS!
 
"5ml per 250litres once or twice per week",


i would add 2ml x3 per week. This is what i do but with EI:

sunday - water change & dose
Mon - rest
Tues - Dose
Wed - rest
Thurs - Dose
Fri - rest
Sat - rest

So dose for just over 250L over the week even though my tank is only 125L?

Mike

P.S Bloody video is taking AAAAAGGGGGEEEEEESSSSSS!

yes, say you dose twice a week, that would be 2.5ml each time = 5ml total.
To make it easier i said 2ml x3 per week. It is only 1ml extra and wont harm anything :)
 
aaronnorth thank you very much for all your help.

I have also posted this same topic on UKAPS and EI has been recommended as a cheaper option is this feasible or too complicated for a noob like myself or would I just get too confused? It kind of makes sense and I imagine it would be easy once I worked out what salts I needed to add and how much. Also where do you get the salts from?

Here is the link to the article I was pointed at: http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1211

Regards
Mike
 
yeah, ive been keeping an eye on your other thread. ;)

EI is ok to use... any method is along as your plants get all the nutrients required.
I'll just pass on my mixture what i use except i'll half the dose for you: ;)

36g KNO3 > 500ml water (20ml x3 per week)
12g KH2PO4 > 500ml water (20ml x3 per week)
25g Trace > 500ml (20ml x3 per week)

If you want to, you can add the KNO3 & KH2PO4 into one bottle:

18g KNO3 > 250ml
6g KH2PO4 > 250ml
Add into 1 bottle and dose 20ml x 3 per week.


Salts are available from Aqua Essentials, Fluidsensor online, and Garden Direct.

Garden direct are the cheapest but they sell in large quanitites.

EDIT: forgot to say you dont have to use weights, digital scales are about £6 posted on ebay, if you want i can convert it into spoons?
 
Here is the video as promised.



I will have a look at those salts. Spoons would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Mike
 
Excuse my stupidness but I cannot seem to find those salts, probably because im not entirely sure what to look for.

Mike
 
they probably dont list them as formula names

KNO3 - potassium nitrate
KH2PO4 - potassium phosphate
Trace elements - CSM+B


Fluidsensor online
KNO3
KH2PO4
Trace

AE
KNO3
KH2PO4
Trace

Garden Direct
KNO3
KH2PO4
Trace

I am not sure on the chelator used with garden direct trace elements, so it might be better to purchase from one of the first 2.



With the teaspoons, if you do use EI, will you be adding the powders directly to the tank, or mixing in liquid first?
Thanks
 
Just a quick update, I have taken all my pipes off my external filter and given them a clean by pulling a rag through them and the amount of brown ####e that came off them is unbelievable, what is it?

Regards
Mike
 
Just a quick update, I have taken all my pipes off my external filter and given them a clean by pulling a rag through them and the amount of brown ####e that came off them is unbelievable, what is it?

Regards
Mike

just the usualy waste that accumulates over time. I do mine monthly.
 
Just a quick update, I have taken all my pipes off my external filter and given them a clean by pulling a rag through them and the amount of brown ####e that came off them is unbelievable, what is it?

Regards
Mike

just the usualy waste that accumulates over time. I do mine monthly.

Ah right thought it may have been dead Algae or something. Because my tank backs onto a window the pipes used to get quite a bit of sunlight. I have moved them now though, and I also keep the curtains by the tank shut.

Regards
Mike
 
Would you say EI or Bottled ferts are better as it seems you add more if you are doing EI 20ml vs 5ml so is EI actually cheaper?

Regards
Mike
 
Hi Arronnorth,
After cleaning my filter pipes earlier I can confirm that my circulation must be enough as I have the spraybar at one end of the tank and the sand on the OPPOSITE side of the tank is being moved towards the end with the spraybar. So I think I have enough filter power :lol:

Still trying to get my head around this EI dosing thing, hopefully I will get it soon. How long will the powder than you linked to earlier roughly last if I use the dosings that you recommend?

Regards
Mike
 
the volumes does doesnt make a differece. Just that one solution is stronger than the other. If you only want to dose 5ml in the EI then add 144g to 500ml of water and dose 5ml ;)
As you can see you are know dosing the same volume, but dissolving that much KNO3 in water is impossible.

500g KNO3 will last 13months
100g KH2PO4 will last 20months
250g Trace will last 10month

here is what you need to add in spoons:

3 tsp KNO3 into 500ml
3/4 tsp Kh2PO4 into 500ml
1/4 tsp traces into 500ml

40ml x3 per week of each



tell me what you are confused about, if it is everything i'll work you out a dosing regime :)
Just tell me whether you still want to dose in spoons or grams.... and whether you want the KNO3 & KH2PO4 in seperate bottles, or in the same bottle.
Thanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top