Help With Algae Required

oswoldy

Fishaholic
Joined
Mar 4, 2009
Messages
575
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Hi Guys/Girls,
I am having a little trouble with Algae in my tank and I don't know how to get rid of it. I have tried removing all the affected leaves, reducing feeding, removing the air stones and less surface agitation but nothing appears to be working all advice greatly appreciated.

Tank Tests/Details:-
Ammonia: 0ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
NitrAte: 20ppm
PH: 7.0
KH: 71.6ppm - 4 Drops
GH: 143.2ppm - 8 Drops
Temperature: 26.9 - Due to weather
Lighting: 2x 20w T8 = 1.3WPG on from 10am till 10pm daily
Ferts: API Leaf Zone - 10ml once a week
CO2: None
Filtration: Eheim Pro 3 2073
Tank: Fluval Roma 125L (33 USG)
Maintenance: Water change once a week 10-30% (Inc Sand Vac), Internal/External glass clean, Filtered cleaned when flow is reduced.
Stocking: See my signature

If I have missed anything please let me know and I will add it. :good:

Many Thanks
Mike
 
A Hydor Korlina powerhead will help a lot all so a 50% weekly water change will make a huge difference.What ferts are you using?Are you adding CO2?
 
Try adding say 2 ml of fert per day adding 10ml in one go is a cause for an algae spike.
 
Try adding say 2 ml of fert per day adding 10ml in one go is a cause for an algae spike.

Ah right ill give that a shot starting next week as I have already added the dose for this week, DOH!

Mike
 
im gonna say

clean the algae with the tank full

then do a huge water change again.

If still that doesn't work, then you could try a 3-5 day blackout.

thats my opinion, its what i done :)
 
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys. How long do you think it will take before I see an improvment?

Regards
Mike
 
I have taken some pictures so hopefully someone can give me a positive ID. This is the worst of it so fingers crossed I have caught it quite quickly.

DSC_9255.jpg


DSC_9254.jpg


DSC_9253.jpg


What is the best way to dose ferts the bottle says:-

"Benefits: LEAF ZONE contains both chelated iron, to promote growth and prevent yellow, decaying leaves, and potassium which aids in photosynthesis and cell pressure maintenance for strong, hardy and colorful leaves."

"Directions for Use: Add 5ml per 10 U.S Gallons (38L) of aquarium water repeat dose once a week"

So going by that I am actually underdosing, I probably done this because I only have three (young when I got them) plants, I assume that as they have grown they need more food, so maybe im just being a noob!?!

Is there a better alternative to API Leaf Zone, that is more highly concentrated so cheaper as less is needed?

Many Thanks
Mike
 
how is circulation in the tank? Is the algae appearing where there is less flow?

Ideally you want a fert that contains Nitrate & Phosphate too, such as Tropica Plant Nutrition+
Then dose this about 3ml daily... a 500ml bottle costs around £15.

It definatley looks as though you are underdosing as there is pin holes in the leafs (potassium defficiency). Firstly though, use the fert you have now, and split the dose into daily doses, again, about 3ml daily as it is similar instructions to the TPN+ which is 5ml per 50litres.

See if you notice an improvement in plant health.


Right now i dont think it is CO2, as you have low lighting however you can never rule it out, so it is more likley circulation.

Cut the lighting to 8hrs a day
Trim the hygro? & cabomba down, and throw away the infected leaves. dont be afraid with the scissors ;)
Raise the dose to 3ml per day.
check circulation

If necassary, use liquid carbon and spot dose (squirt the daily dose onto the infected areas)

Make sure whenever you clean algae off you do a 50% water change afterwards to remove the spores.
 
I got algea that looks like yours. My plan is reduced light to 7 hours a day, added fast growing plants, started using easy carbo, close curtains during the day as the tank is in a bright room and increase weekly water change. I started this last week and algea looks a little less and plants are growing well.
 
how is circulation in the tank? Is the algae appearing where there is less flow?

No all of the plants sway in the current, I cannot see any dead spots

Ideally you want a fert that contains Nitrate & Phosphate too, such as Tropica Plant Nutrition+
Then dose this about 3ml daily... a 500ml bottle costs around £15.

I will give that a shot once I have ran out of this stuff - Is Seachem Flourish and good?

It definatley looks as though you are underdosing as there is pin holes in the leafs (potassium defficiency). Firstly though, use the fert you have now, and split the dose into daily doses, again, about 3ml daily as it is similar instructions to the TPN+ which is 5ml per 50litres.

See if you notice an improvement in plant health.


Right now i dont think it is CO2, as you have low lighting however you can never rule it out, so it is more likley circulation.

Cut the lighting to 8hrs a day - Done
Trim the hygro? & cabomba down, and throw away the infected leaves. dont be afraid with the scissors ;) - Will do
Raise the dose to 3ml per day. - Ok
check circulation - Seems fine - will try to get a vid

If necassary, use liquid carbon and spot dose (squirt the daily dose onto the infected areas)

Make sure whenever you clean algae off you do a 50% water change afterwards to remove the spores.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, what Algae do you think it is?

Many Thanks
Mike
 

Most reactions

Back
Top