Help please! Novice in need of emergency advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wilfieboy

Reaction score
Please could anybody offer me some advice with my new tank trauma [I only have a small Bi-Orb]. I had my water tested at an aquatic shop and they told me it was good quality and ready to go, although it had only been set up for 2 weeks. I tried to keep things simple by putting in only 10 guppies [12 days ago] but because of the small volume of water in the tank and the fact that it wasn't fully mature, the water quality has gone haywire. The nitrite levels were sky-high last week, so I started a series of daily water changes of about 20% each time, always replacing with filtered/de-chlorinated tap water. I think I repeated about 4 changes [using Stress Coat and Stress Zyme] but haven't done one since Monday as nitrite readings were still relatively high after each change and I've been worried that I was replacing too much of the original water. I've cut right down on feeding instead and also added some more of the biological filtration rocks [they call it ceramic media] to encourage bacteria growth and I bought a nitrite treatment [sorry can't remember the name] which I've been adding daily [as recommended]. One guppy died yesterday and 2 others are behaving as if sick. I'm sure that 1 has fin rot and 1 think 1 other may have an intestinal worm. Both males seem to have symptoms of 'shimmying' and frequently hover on their own for long periods. The 1 with the worm [I think] also seems to have trouble using his pectoral fins, as their movement seems limited. I know both are in urgent need of attention, but I don't know what to do for the best. I'm worried about adding medication to the tank as I feel that i've mucked about with the water enough already - but obviously, I haven't got the luxury of a mature 'hospital' tank to treat them in. I know I'm only talking about 2 guppies [the rest seem fine] but it's hard to watch them deteriorate without doing anything to help. Should I just concentrate on trying to get the water right and accept that I can't do much to help them - do I have any alternatives? Grateful thanks to anyone who can help

Hi, have a read of the article in my sig. It should give you some background and some tips.

Bad luck mate it all sounds very hairy. As AA says, that article on new tank syndrome probably sums up what you're going through right now! If it's any consolation, you're probably doing what you can in giving the fish regular water changes - do keep this up. Make sure you add a dechlorinator to the water you're adding too otherwise the chlorine will cause the fish extra stress.

Other things you might want to do - if possible can you get hold of some tank media - like gravel or water or a filter sponge - from an established tank? If you can do this and add it to your tank it will help to establish the beneficial bacteria. Also, if you post this in the beginners forum or in the emergencies forum you may get more responses :thumbs:

Good luck!

WHereabouts are you in the world, like platty says, bactria from an established tank might help...you never know, there might be someone on here that might come to the rescue if you don't know anyone? (worth a try?)

Hi Wilfieboy and welcome to the forum. :hi:

As you can see, the folks here are friendly and helpful. I'm sorry that you are off to such a bad start on what should be a wonderful hobby, but, stick with it and in time your tank will come around.

One thing you have already learned, I'm sure, is what lfs (local fish store) not to shop at. The advice you received there was totally wrong. Now, while your tank is cycling, take the time to check out the others in your area. If you can, look for an independently owned shop not a chain store. Get to know the owner and employees. They will be a great asset as you progress in the hobby. A good store will make it their policy to help their customers make their tanks successful, not just go for a quick sale.

Good luck. Now that you are on the right track it will just be a matter of time until things start going right. I hope, too, that you will stay on the forum and help others learn from your bad experience. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Back