Help my angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Helpmylucifer

Reaction score
So lucifer just chills with clamped fins and rubbing against everything in the tank. I love this guy he is so dope I cant stand watching him suffer. What could be wrong with him?? Check out his tail it looks weird also he cant swallow his food it's like he tries but ends up having to spit it out. I have noticed some extra body slime at times I think he is even spitting it out his mouth. I have a feeling I'm going to wake up to him being dead so I'm afraid to sleep, he thinks in crazy cuz I'm just staring at him lol. I have noticed these gross tiny thinner than hair white worms in the tank. They are really hard to see you have to look at the tank in an angle with the light on to see one float by. Could he have flukes? Or I'm thinking maybe some kinda bacterial infection idk I'm new to this fish thing. I have only had my tank for 6 months.

Attachments

• 20190723_020753.jpg
    20190723_020753.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 133
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before you add it to the tank?

How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

How long have you had the angelfish for?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

------------------------
White worms on the glass and in the tank are either planaria or detritus worms that normally live in the gravel and only come out if there is a water quality issue.

Fish produce excess mucous when they are stressed from chemicals or poor water quality.

Trouble eating can be poor water quality or a bacterial or fungal infection.

Rubbing on objects in the tank is normally whitespot but can be poor water quality or chemicals in the water.

------------------------
Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week.

Post some pictures of the angelfish showing both sides, and pics of any other fish in the tank.

If the fish have whitespot, the safest way to treat it is by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then reduce the temperature to whatever it normally is.
If you raise the temperature, do a 75% water change and gravel clean first, clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks, and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen levels in the water.

Colin has you covered.

Just to add, what size tank and what are the other tank mates?

The picture of the tail looks fine to me. Please post more pictures of the fish and tank.

Yes so I clean the tank, sand and gravel about every 2 weeks I have been doing it every couple days to try to get rid of the worms. I have a loach in there with him and all he does is fling himself off the gravel constantly. I know loaches are sensitive to medication so I guess that might be because I put jungle fungus clear tabs in tank. They have been rubbing on stuff for about 2 months way before i put any medicine in. I did do a treatment of prazipro about a month ago but it didnt kill the worms like the tank is infested with these worms. They both rub on each other it's kinda cute but I think they are miserable. The anglefish twitches and shakes he bangs himself up trying to rub on stuff. That's what is tripping me out is how he shakes and constantly has his fins clamped. He does this weird yamn thing. I clean the filter once a month and I just hose it out. I do put api stress coat in all new water before adding it to the tank. I mix it around in the designated buckets I have for my tank. I dont have a water test kit but i have the strips n they show no ammonia nitrate or nitrite. I'll post more pics in a little bit when I go home for lunch. I have had them for about 6 months and the tank now for 4 months it's a 29 gallon tank. I know it's kinda small for them but when I bought them I told the pet store I had a 10 gallon tank n they sold me my yolo loach anglefish and Bolivian ram lol crazy. So I plan on getting a bigger tank cuz my poor ram isnt doing good by himself in the 10 gallon tank. He has some kinda bacterial infection I think cuz he is losing his scales and has bright red gills.

Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

For sure, I'll do that when I get off work tonight! Thanks for looking out!

This isnt a good video because he isnt doing what he normally does but u can see the loach and what he does constantly. I'll try tonight to get a better video.

I clean the filter once a month and I just hose it out.
Filter media/ materials should be washed out in a bucket of tank water and re-used. washing them under chlorinated tap water can kill the beneficial filter bacteria.

If you hold your phone horizontally, the video will fill the entire screen instead of just the middle.

The angelfish is bored and shows signs of stereotypical behaviour (swimming up and down the glass).

The loach rubbing either has white spot or velvet. Raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks. Then see how it goes after that.

Now he has a huge scratch from rubbing, idk I dont think its white spot or velvet they would of been dead by now. I'll try to slowly raise my temp n fingers crossed it helps. Thanks colin.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back