Help! My angelfish floated and have no fin left

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Need help, My angelfish is floated and he’s has been bitten by tinfoil barbs (which I will return it to my friend) should I move him to qt tank?
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

@Colin_T

Attachments

• 5EBA7C22-2E4F-453E-A497-4B32BBFDF103.jpeg
    5EBA7C22-2E4F-453E-A497-4B32BBFDF103.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 174
  • D5DF88E3-50E7-4B62-AFEE-4C0ABC00F2F2.jpeg
    D5DF88E3-50E7-4B62-AFEE-4C0ABC00F2F2.jpeg
    318.9 KB · Views: 179
I'm amazed you guys are waiting for me to respond. You know the routine. Isolate it to stop it being picked on any more. Keep the water clean and add a bit of salt to reduce infections. Then cross your fingers and hope it lives.

I'm amazed you guys are waiting for me to respond. You know the routine. Isolate it to stop it being picked on any more. Keep the water clean and add a bit of salt to reduce infections. Then cross your fingers and hope it lives.
The left side of his body are out of water, should I lower the water level? And why is he floating if he just got picked? And what to do if they wre dry out?

No idea why it's floating. It might have had an internal problem and was unwell, then the tin foil barbs attacked it. Or the fish is simply so sick and tired it is just letting the current take it wherever.

Have a coverglass on the tank to increase humidity. This will reduce the damage to any part of the fish that is not in water. Gently splash a bit of tank water on the fish to keep it wet.

No idea why it's floating. It might have had an internal problem and was unwell, then the tin foil barbs attacked it. Or the fish is simply so sick and tired it is just letting the current take it wherever.

Have a coverglass on the tank to increase humidity. This will reduce the damage to any part of the fish that is not in water. Gently splash a bit of tank water on the fish to keep it wet.
I have to go on a vacation in 2 days, what if I dont do water changes?

As long as the water is clean now, the fish should be fine without water changes for a few days. It might not even survive the night so I wouldn't worry about water too much.

Yesterday have to be the worst day ever
-angelfish have no fin left because of tinfoil barbs attack.
-I'm about to giveaway tinfoil barbs to my friend so I put them in a 50cm tall bucket with 3 inches water and both of them jumped out. They jump really high, I never thought of this.
-Blue panchax fry jump out of the tank, so.... no killifish anymore...

I have a fear of failure, I cant even sleep last night.

Last edited:
buckets should be half full of water and have lids to stop the fish jumping out.

tanks should have coverglass to stop fish jumping out and to reduce evaporation and condensation getting on lights.

go down to the creek and get some more killifish and try again.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and what was probably a beautiful fish. In my experience the side floating is a stage just before death. If you touch him and he takes off moving like a regular fish would move but ends up back on his side he may have a few days left. If you touch him and there is no response In my experience it means they've given up. Mine have usually passed away within a day or two or if it feels really bad I've euthanized him. Only you can make that decision as to how much fear and discomfort he is in. I just HATE this part of fishkeeping - it's so hard to make decisions like this since we can't know the future. I hate to see any creature suffering but fish are not a species I'm familiar enough with to know when enough is enough - although based on what you're describing that's where he is headed. Try to evaluate objectively and make the decision before you go on vacation.

Most reactions

Back