Help me with my African Cichlid tank set up! Please!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Gravel or sand? Or both?

Whatā€™s the best type of food for them?

I have softer water - whatā€™s a good additive to make it harder? Will SeaChem Trace work? I also ordered the KH and GH test kits to add to my API water kit. So Iā€™ll get a better idea of where Iā€™m at when I cycle the tank.

For my other tropical fresh water tanks I use API quick start and stresszyme for my bacteria at changes. Is this okay for the Cichlid tank? I also add stresscoat to my tap water.

Any info on these guys would be great. Iā€™ve been reading and reading and so many sources contradict others. So just wondering from people with experience. I learning towards peacocks specifically

Thanks!

I use fine limestone chip for the substrate. That will make your water hard enough, I feed mine a combination of algae discs, bloodworm and flake food. I plant my tanks and don't test the water. I use no chemicals and do 25% water changes weekly. If you need to use dechlorinator do that.

What is your water GH and pH?
It will be easier if you have higher GH and pH.

Sand may give a nicer look though you have to be careful when siphoning the debris.

API quick start is good but stresscoat is not require and may not be good for long term.

Also, what kind of African Cichlid that you plan to keep?
Some African Cichlid need more vegetables/plant as food but some are more of meat eaters.

What is your water GH and pH?
It will be easier if you have higher GH and pH.

Sand may give a nicer look though you have to be careful when siphoning the debris.

API quick start is good but stresscoat is not require and may not be good for long term.

Also, what kind of African Cichlid that you plan to keep?
Some African Cichlid need more vegetables/plant as food but some are more of meat eaters.

Iā€™m leaning towards peacock cichlids. My gh was 60ppm (2 years ago when I tested my well) but I just ordered a kit to test myself at home. My ph is high 7ā€™s.

I like the idea of sand but thatā€™s the thing how do you clean it? Can you vacuum if? I read peacocks like to sift the sand and spit it out. I donā€™t want to do gravel if they donā€™t like it. Though gravel would be easier.

Sand or gravel or shells is fine, whatever you prefer.

Peacock cichlids (Aulonocara species) are predators and eat fish, prawn, and other types of marine meats. They will also take pellets and various frozen and dry foods.

Get a Rift Lake water conditioner to increase the GH, KH and pH of the water. It should contain calcium chloride, magnesium chloride and various other mineral salts including calcium and magnesium carbonates.
You can buy this from most pet shops or online.

Normal water conditioners and filter bacteria supplements are fine for cichlid tanks. You don't need to add bacteria supplements after the filter is established.

You can set up the cichlid tank using some filter media/ material from the established tanks. This means you won't need to cycle the cichlid tank.

Peacock cichlids are easy to keep and breed. Have the GH around 300ppm and the pH above 7.6. Feed them a variety of foods and look after them. Have a male and a few females and they do the rest. There is nothing difficult about them.

Sand or gravel or shells is fine, whatever you prefer.

Peacock cichlids (Aulonocara species) are predators and eat fish, prawn, and other types of marine meats. They will also take pellets and various frozen and dry foods.

Get a Rift Lake water conditioner to increase the GH, KH and pH of the water. It should contain calcium chloride, magnesium chloride and various other mineral salts including calcium and magnesium carbonates.
You can buy this from most pet shops or online.

Normal water conditioners and filter bacteria supplements are fine for cichlid tanks. You don't need to add bacteria supplements after the filter is established.

You can set up the cichlid tank using some filter media/ material from the established tanks. This means you won't need to cycle the cichlid tank.

Peacock cichlids are easy to keep and breed. Have the GH around 300ppm and the pH above 7.6. Feed them a variety of foods and look after them. Have a male and a few females and they do the rest. There is nothing difficult about them.
Thank you. Would the seachem Cichlid trace be considered a rift lake conditioner? It has those minerals you listed

Last edited:
Seachem Cichlid Trace is more trace elements and not going to increase the GH to the levels you need. You want a powder/ salt that dissolves in water. I used Aquasonic Rift Lake conditioner (see following link). Try to find something like that.

If you like Seachem products, you could try this one
It doesn't list carbonates in the ingredients but the website does say to use a buffer (specific for the individual Rift Lakes) which will contain carbonates.

Seachem Cichlid Trace is more trace elements and not going to increase the GH to the levels you need. You want a powder/ salt that dissolves in water. I used Aquasonic Rift Lake conditioner (see following link). Try to find something like that.

Thanks! I ordered the trace already. Will I need that if I have rift lake salt or should I just return it? Or will I end up using both?

If you like Seachem products, you could try this one
It doesn't list carbonates in the ingredients but the website does say to use a buffer (specific for the individual Rift Lakes) which will contain carbonates.
Thanks! I ordered the trace already. Will I need that if I have Cichlid salt or should I just return it? Or will I end up using both? Thanks for the help.

Which salt did you use?
Some Rift Lake salts increase GH but not KH and you have to use a Rift Lake buffer as well to raise KH.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back