Help Me Make My Perfect Tank

I'm excited for you mate! Haha sure will stay tuned :)

#40##....

Today, arriving home from work, I was presented with this wonderful letter:

"... Dear Tom Vass, We are sorry to inform you that the 320L Corner aquarium you ordered ([ordernumber]) on 2012 January 20th, could not been delivered. If you return to the store in the next 7 days, you will be able to get your money back... "

#136###??!!?! I've been waiting for my tank for ages!!!!
What now?

Alright, so I decided to make my own tank, since it will be the way I want it, but it will be more expensive.

So far, it looks like this:
What do you think? :)

Front:
Screenshot-3.png

Back:
Screenshot-4.png

Birdseye view? :D :
Screenshot-5.png

The tank is 100cm long, 70cm high and 42cm deep. (300L! :))

All right, I filed away my plans to the glass makers, and headed out to buy my equipment.

I planned this tank to be low maintenance as possible, but as I can't create anything that cleans itself, I planned it to be 60% Self cleaning :)
So besides the normal filtering, I choose to add and undergravel filter connected to output tube (See picture), so it will clean itself.
But my question is, What size gravel can I use with the undergravel filter?

FishWaste.jpg

I just saw that I spelled a bunch of stuff wrong, sorry :).
*Piping
*filled with water at all time

If you are using an under gravel filter, the ideal particle size is about 2 mm in size. It is big enough to be well retained by the filter plate while being as small as you can get without any plugging of that plate.

I wish you the best of luck with your new tank!

by the by; do you have fire insurance that also covers broken glass/windows? (no need to answer)
because; an aquarium is glass; and it's broken. SO your insurance should cover the repairs of your old tank, OR buy a new, commercially and equal performing system!
i know mine did ;)

If you have any pictures of it, or the cracked tank, you could recover
1) money for new tank
2) broken equipment (filter running dry/overheating, heater exploded, etc...)
3) dead fishes (price for new, young fishes)
4) dead plants

(you'll have to be able to prove 2-4 though, with frozen fishes or broken equipment)

EDIT: I mean, this could get you some nice starting money for your new tank :)

When the tank cracked, I lived in an area with no fire insurance. Just after the damage, I moved. Now I do have FI, but back then I didn't... Thanks for your reply! ;)

np;

i'm on board for the topic :D
curious how everything will turn out!

Thanks! ;)

I went for to a glas maker and he told me that my planned tank was going to cost - stay strong - £480!!!! I could buy a new one for that money!! :crazy:
So what I am thinking now is to make the base, sides and back out of some material, and only have the front in glass. I'll make a nice 3D background it, that covers up the back and the sides.

But I don't know what material make the tank out of... Plywood?`Iron? Any tips please? :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back