Help Identifying this illness please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jonny-5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Still got this mysterious illness in my oldest Bronze Cory, Im guessing some sort of bacterial infection?
It gets a white spot on tail fin, then it clears up after a few days,Then after a week it appears next to the dorsal fin but larger & he has blood streaks in the abdomen area.

It affects only the 1 cory who is 5 yrs old, Hes active as the others & eats well but now & again he twists & flicks around
Ive treated the tank recently with Flubendazole for 4 weeks as i had a suspect worm infest, finished the course yesterday & have done 75% water change today.

This has been happening for a few months now on & off. Not sure what to do next??

30 Gallon
P.H 7
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 10ppm
Temp 25oC

6 Bronze/Albino Corys & 6 Guppy Juvenile males

Ive looked at a lot of Threads but they all say the same thing. That its fungus but what about the blood streaks?

Attachments

• 20210223_124006.jpg
    20210223_124006.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210223_123944.jpg
    20210223_123944.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 37
Its a strange 1, As it comes and goes. I was thinking it could of been internal damage from worms but i feel im guessing all the time.
They have had a worm treatment but i suppose he could of already been damaged internally by the worms if they did have them?
I have never seen any before,during & after treatment

is he still acting ok? maybe its a mating thing with males??? any other ones doing this

Nope everybody is fine, Hes still very active & eats well. I first noticed the blood streaks in abdomen area before xmas time, Then my pal said his guppys had worms & they were held in my tank for 6 weeks before this happended so thats when i decided to treat for worms

Still got this mysterious illness in my oldest Bronze Cory, Im guessing some sort of bacterial infection?
It gets a white spot on tail fin, then it clears up after a few days,Then after a week it appears next to the dorsal fin but larger & he has blood streaks in the abdomen area.

It affects only the 1 cory who is 5 yrs old, Hes active as the others & eats well but now & again he twists & flicks around

This has been happening for a few months now on & off. Not sure what to do next??
It's an external protozoan infection (Costia, Chilodonella or Trichodina). You can treat it with salt.

The protozoan parasites are in most tanks and affect all fish to some degree. Older fish or sick fish are more prone to developing infections because of their weaker immune system.

The protozoan parasites bite the fish's skin and this irritates the fish causing it to rub on objects or flick about. The fish produces excess mucous over the damaged area to help protect the site. This is why there is a creamy white patch on the fish, it is excess mucous over the irritated area.

When the parasites build up in number and start doing lots of damage, the skin can bleed and you get red patches on the fish.

Red patches can also be caused by bacteria, poor water quality, and a dirty tank/ filter.

--------------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using salt or medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Add some salt, (see directions below).

--------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

When you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

wait i think 75 is like a lot a lot. is it like 3 25s or straight up 75

Eh?
A 25% water change would be 1/4 of the tank water
A 50% water change would be 2 x 1/4 = 1/2 of the tank water
A 75% water change would be 3 x 1/4 = 3/4 of the tank water
So yes i guess it is 3 x 25% but all in 1 go, So thats a 75% water change

Eh?
A 25% water change would be 1/4 of the tank water
A 50% water change would be 2 x 1/4 = 1/2 of the tank water
A 75% water change would be 3 x 1/4 = 3/4 of the tank water
So yes i guess it is 3 x 25% but all in 1 go, So thats a 75% water change
yeah i heard some epopel say that is too much for a tank and causes mini cycyle

yeah i heard some epopel say that is too much for a tank and causes mini cycyle
No, it won't cause a mini cycle, don't worry! It's fine to do a 75% water change on an established tank. The de-nitrifying bacteria don't live in the water column, they live in the filter media and attached to hard surfaces. The substrate, decor, tank glass, plants etc, that's where the bacteria live, not free-swimming in the water column. I do weekly 50-75% water changes on my tanks, never affects the cycle, only reduces nitrates.

When and how large a water change to do is important when the tank is first cycling, before it's established and the filter is matured, and if the tank has been neglected without water changes for a long time, so that the parameters have drifted from the water source, then a large water change could be a problem. Could also be a problem if your source water has changed, in which case, smaller, frequent water changes would be best to let the fish adjust slowly to new water parameters.

But if you're doing regular maintenance on an established tank, your tank water should already be chemically close to your source water, and large water changes certainly don't affect the cycle.

Dont get me wrong i dont do a 75% all the time, Maybe every couple of months.
My normal maintenance involves at least 25% water change every weekend, & wipe the glass down with a fish only sponge.
Every other weekend i check the filter & give it a bit of a rinse in my old tank water, Just to keep on top of it. Wipe over inside of hood & light fittings.
Every 2 months i lift up decor & Bogwood to give it a good vac underneath
Every 3 months replace filter media but 1 pad at a time, But i have now discovered a decent aquarium wool that i put inside the filter BEFORE the water hits the pads so now i just remove the wool or rinse in tank water, The pads rarely need changing now

No, it won't cause a mini cycle, don't worry! It's fine to do a 75% water change on an established tank. The de-nitrifying bacteria don't live in the water column, they live in the filter media and attached to hard surfaces. The substrate, decor, tank glass, plants etc, that's where the bacteria live, not free-swimming in the water column. I do weekly 50-75% water changes on my tanks, never affects the cycle, only reduces nitrates.

When and how large a water change to do is important when the tank is first cycling, before it's established and the filter is matured, and if the tank has been neglected without water changes for a long time, so that the parameters have drifted from the water source, then a large water change could be a problem. Could also be a problem if your source water has changed, in which case, smaller, frequent water changes would be best to let the fish adjust slowly to new water parameters.

But if you're doing regular maintenance on an established tank, your tank water should already be chemically close to your source water, and large water changes certainly don't affect the cycle.
I never had to do that much because there were never large problems in my tank. Thanks for telling your experiences! Always helps me to become better. Nitrates are good for my plants so i dont take them away too often

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back