Help identifying disease

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Are the spots round or long?
In the picture some are long but white spot (Ich) is always round.

If some of them are long, then it is not ich.

--------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?
How long has it had the white marks?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

I have looked at this a couple of times now, and I don't think it is Ich, as colin says they are not round and look a bit large, especially when its not on the body either.
They seem to follow the rays of the fish and I wonder if it is some form of odd growth in the rays.
I have seen something similar on Angel's before which was possible scar tissue or tumor growth?
Not sure to be honest.

Here is some more detail:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Two Angelfish, out of 6. Suspicious white spots on their tail. It doesn’t seem to be Ick. The fish are normally active and their behavior is normal. See attached photo.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

The ammonia is good according to Seachem Alert <0.02mg/L

PH is 6.6

Nitrite 1mg/L

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

55 gallons

Setup on 6/18/2019 (2 weeks)

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval AquaClear 70 (300gph). Aside from the media it came with (sponge, activated carbon and ceramic noodles) I am using a purigen 100 bag. I took the activated carbon out yesterday.

I’m adding another Fluval AquaClear 70 with its sponge and Seachem Matrix and purigen this week.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6 juvenile angelfish

15 neon tetras

10 black neon tetras

12 guppies

1 bristlenose pleco

1 clown pleco

6 Bettas

6 Corydoras

2 dwarf gouramis

59 fish

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

2 days ago. 30%. Once weekly.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Two weeks.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

I use Seachem Stability, Prime, Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, Fresh Trace.

The tank is planted and has a CO2 diffuser. Some of the plants are doing well (e.g. Amazon sword, Java fern, Java moss). Others not (e.g. Anubias nana).

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

A variety of food. Tetra flakes, freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex, pleco wafers, bottom feeder pellets, etc. A small amount, once a day, consumed within a minute.

You need to do bigger water changes. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate once a week. However, you should also do a 75% water change any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

At this stage I wouldn't worry too much about the white marks on the fish. If it gets worse then post more pictures. If you can take pictures from both sides of the fish and check to see if they look raised, it might provide us with more information.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth knowing. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep. :)
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back