Help identify fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

boxuin

Reaction score
found this at a big box fish store, they said that it came mixed with other fish and donā€™t know what it is. Looks to be some type of rainbow to me but I canā€™t find any images via google like it.

Attachments

• 5D90F46E-64BF-425D-8707-C0EAE406D64F.jpeg
    5D90F46E-64BF-425D-8707-C0EAE406D64F.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 264
Peacock Gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda). A small peaceful fish from New Guinea. They grow to about 1 inch long and usually starve in mixed community tanks. They eat most frozen (but defrosted) and live foods but don't normally take dry foods. Keep the pH around 7.0, do regular water changes, have some plants for them to hide in and get a few more if you can. They are a great little fish and breed readily when kept in good conditions. The males have a more rounded forehead. The fish in the picture looks like a female.

I have 4 peacock gudgeons in my 180 litre tank, 2 males and 2 females. They were supposed to be 1 m 3 f but they were immature when I bought them and one female turned out to be male. Luckily, with a tank footprint of 107 x 45 cm (42 x 18 inches) there is room for both males.

The dominant male is a big fish, he's twice the size of Colin's 1 inch. He breeds regularly with one or other of the females - he's in his tube guarding eggs as I type. He only just fits but these fish like to spawn in tight spaces. There are various 'caves' in the tank, the one he's adopted as his is a length of 1 inch plastic tubing with slate siliconed to it to weight it down and make it look prettier.
I've had the gudgeons for 2 years. I feed the tank flakes (Omega One), pellets (New Life Spectrum) and a variety of frozen food. The gudgeons swim to the surface at feeding time, they don't wait for the food to come to them. Mine definitely eat dry food!
The tank does have lots of hiding places as Colin recommends - I have a lot of wood with plants attached, and water sprite as a floating plant.

You must have trained yours well. I spoilt mine with live and frozen foods. However, I did get mine back in the early 90s when they first appeared on the market. So it's probable they are less picky now due to captive breeding. They are a lovely fish tho and definitely worth keeping.

Thanks everyone. They gave it to me for free because they didnā€™t know what it was. Thought it was a cool little fish. Now Iā€™ll have to get a few more so itā€™s not alone

I forgot to mention that I agree with Colin that your fish is female. Although male fish don't develop the rounded forehead until they are mature, females, even young ones, have a darker edge to the anal fin like the fish in your photo and males don't have this.
My females have a thin red edge rather than a thick black one which is how I missed the fact that one female was actually a male.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tateurndina-ocellicauda/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back