Help!!! I got a Tire Track Eel but he ate my

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mhoward1999

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all. Last night I got a tire track eel. He is to go in my 29 gallon tank with my paradise fish. I also bought a male kribensis. Based on my research and the word of my LFS guy (who has been very good up to now) I thought it would be okay with my current fish. When I got to work this morning he had eaten one of my CAE. I pulled the other one out and have placed it in a friend's tank until I can figure out what to do. The kribensis, who is no bigger than the CAE was is now in a breeding box that's really for guppies or mollys so he can't be eaten until I can figure out what to do. I am so distressed. I thought I had figured out a great addition to my currently very bland tank. I REALLY think he is a cool fish. What would ya'll suggest?

Tyre track eels can grow to around 39" in length and will consume any significantly smaller tankmates, anything less than a quarter of the eels size may be in danger of being food. Why your lfs owner would recomend this fish for your tank is a mystery to me, not only is it far too large needing a minimum of a 120g tank when adult it is also completely unsuitable for a small fish community tank.

Nobody is eating my paradise fish. As for size, he is about twice as long as they are, and probably about half as big around. Sigh... I really like him, but if I buy a 100+ gallon tank it's gonna be for saltwater. For now I have the kribensis and remaining CAE in a ten gallon tank that I had torn down because I don't like it. The paradise fish and the tire track eel are all that are in my 29 gallon tank. I am probably going to have to take him back, much as I like him...

Edited to add: My paradise fish are very agressive. They kill any normal community fish I put with them.

(sniff, sniff) I did it. It was so sad. I decided to take back everything in that tank...paradise fish...CAE...kribensis. That tank is in my third grade classroom, and I feel that I was spending too much classtime worrying about and working with these fish trying to figure out what they need and trying to build a happy tank. I have now regressed to a peaceful community tank where nobody wants to make anyone else lunch!!!
See sig for the changes.

Most reactions

trending

Back